Data Design Manager at Capital One (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
Data Design Manager
Capital One is the bank millions of customers choose to spend with, save with, and invest in. And behind every one of those customer relationships are thousands of associates working in concert to run the business. Some of those associates are also dedicated to inventing new ways of operating, so we can create even better experiences for our customers. That's where you come in.
Our Finance organization is accountable for knowing how every transaction, regulation, and investment impacts Capital One and our customers. Imagine being responsible for inventing systems that dramatically shift how our company's finance associates do their work; how quickly and accurately they see changes, answer questions, and make data-informed decisions to support our customers and our company.
A little about the role
Capital One's Experience Design team is looking for a Product Design Manager to lead a new Data and Reporting Experience Design workstream focused on Commercial Bank Products.
What kind of team would you be joining? We're a close-knit, collaborative group, guided by a highly iterative, user-centered design process. Combining research, data, and thoughtful critique, we're discovering needs and solving fundamental problems that impact the work of an entire organization. We pride ourselves on bringing our A-game everyday, but also on the bonds we've built together, enabling us to have fun and remain true to who we are.
What does a typical day look like?
As a Product Design Manager, you'll be responsible for leading a highly impactful, emerging body of work within Commercial Bank.. As such, you'll be working with Product & Tech to develop the UX Strategy alongside the Product Strategy, leveraging discovery work and low-fidelity execution early on, then driving hands-on delivery in collaboration with a group of talented, kind people whose skills span design, product, tech, and finance. Together, you are reinventing Financial forecasting for, well, a Finance organization.
What you'll be doing
- Collaborating closely with UX Researchers to dissect discovery work done to-date and build a UX Strategy for an entirely new workstream within Finance
- Partnering closely with Product, Tech and Business Leads to establish an experience roadmap for the Forecasting workstream
- Driving the design and delivery of world-class forecasting experiences laddering up to a unified platform that will redefine the very fundamentals of how we do business
- Building empathy and be a customer advocate in our product development process
- Partnering with product, engineering, and research to ensure design deliverables are well-aligned to high-level strategy
- Translating user needs, style guides, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems
- Recruiting and leading other designers within your workstream, promoting healthy collaboration and cross communication
- Executing on design deliverables that align with product-level goals
- Advocating for and designing good experiences, not getting stuck in the way things used to be done, but push for a new and better way to enable our customers
- Guiding and building experiences towards solutions that are unquestionably simple, intuitive, and "just work" for our users
- Participating in workshops to facilitate co-creation, alignment, and understanding
- Mentoring and supporting multidisciplinary teammates, helping them achieve success in their work and move closer to their goals, while maintaining a high morale
- Ensure consistency and quality of design deliverables, looking at opportunities across the entire Finance Design team - leverage the right designs at the right time, and know when you don't need to reinvent the wheel
What you'll bring
- Ability to execute on the end-to-end design lifecycle from discovery work through final handoff
- Ability and willingness to get your hands dirty with design
- Strong Information Architecture and infrastructure experience, creating frameworks, taxonomies, and systems that underpin a broad range of processes and experiences.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Strong storytelling capabilities; an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative
- Experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity to articulate and test user flows, UI design, and/or UI animation using modern tools (e.g. Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, InVision, Balsamiq, etc)
- Excellent problem-solving and relationship management skills
- Ability to clearly communicate your design decisions with partners and influence the shape of the product using research, user journeys, interactive prototypes, and high-quality wireframes
- Ability to advocate the value of Design, and inspire partners and teammates through elegant presentation and storytelling capabilities
- Experience working with Engineers and Product Managers to drive strategy, vision, and execution
- A portfolio that highlights strong web experience designing for data intensive applications at scale, executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to ship successful products that people love
- A user-centered approach to designing applications for people
- A collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others
- Master level proficiency with standard digital design tools (e.g. Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, InVision, Balsamiq, etc.)
Who You Are:
A Curious Researcher: You thrive on conducting research, synthesizing qualitative and quantitative data and connecting dots that lead to compelling, easy to understand insights and opportunities to dig deeper.
A Strategic, Creative Problem-Solver : You're comfortable in ambiguity and passionate about finding clarity. You have a deep conceptual understanding of how to design for different mental models (and how to discover/define those models). You have a strategic, methodical approach that blends design thinking with service design
A Storyteller : You're able to develop clear and persuasive stories about your work that you share with a wide range of audiences, including business partners and stakeholders. You're able to present research findings and design concepts to designers and product partners.
A Successful Balancer : You can balance multiple projects and take initiative when team members need help. You're able to keep track of your work, manage your time efficiently and communicate scheduling with your manager and the broader team.
A Thoughtful Solutioner : You're a Designer who's worked with large organizations on B2B and B2C solutions and you know how to untangle the complexities. You're a fierce end user advocate who doesn't overlook organizational direction or business needs. You know how to evaluate and interpret stakeholder & customer feedback and requests and balance them against true user needs.
• Bachelor's degree• At least 5 years of experience with User Experience and User Interface design• At least 1 year of professional management experience and leading teams• At least 3 years of experience with prototyping and using product design tools such as InVision
• Master's degree in a design or related field• At least 7 years of experience with UX/Product design• At least 3 years of professional management experience and leading teams• At least 3 years of experience with prototyping and using product design tools such as InVision
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
Location is New York City: $160,200 - $182,800 for Manager, Design
Location is San Francisco, California: $169,700 - $193,700 for Manager, Design
Remote roles in other areas of New York & California, and across Colorado & Washington: $135,700 - $154,900 for Manager, Design
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at [email protected] . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).