Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery, Inc. is the number one leader in engaging lifestyle media, producing original content and products for beloved brands such as HGTV, Food Network, the Discovery Channel, and the Travel Channel. We are looking for a dynamic Design Director with both art direction and UX experience to join the Digital Studios team and create compelling, easy, and joyful customer experiences for our digital brand experiences on the web. This role will be a mixture of hands-on work, driving all aspects of design from concept through delivery, as well as managing a small team.
You must be…
● forward-thinking, imaginative, and willing to take risks with your work
● a systematic thinker who sees the big picture (yet is still attentive to details)
● an energetic and natural leader, with a talent for relationship building
● a strong and confident communicator (verbal, written, and visual)
● a proactive problem solver with excellent time management skills
● always empathetic with and advocating for the customer
● an expert in current trends and best practices designing for desktop and mobile web (visual, UI, and UX)
● an expert in all facets of visual design (typography, grid, hierarchy of information, color, etc.)
● Partner with a cross-functional team of leaders (Product, Editorial, Design, Engineering, Marketing) in a highly collaborative environment to envision the future of our web experiences across multiple brands.
● Understand our customers and their values deeply; always fiercely advocate from the customers’ perspective.
● Approach designing the web experiences with a strong storytelling point of view, embracing input from fellow team members.
● Explore a wide range of solutions without being overly precious about any - understand that it’s about getting to the right solution for the customer.
● Approach the design system and interaction patterns holistically - ensure consistency of reusable patterns across the experience.
● Effectively communicate your ideas and underlying thinking through in-person presentations and comprehensive documentation (presentations, flows, wireframes, prototypes, etc.).
● Present and advocate for your ideas and solutions to senior leadership.
● Mentor and lead a team of Product Designers with a range of skill sets (visual, UI, UX)
● Promote core design principles consistently across the brands (e.g. simplicity, usability, etc.)
● Contribute to the planning, preparation, and analysis of user testing - both for value proposition and usability
● Be flexible and willing to pursue alternate solutions based on user testing, feedback, and data
● Contribute to the continuous evolution of our work culture and collaborative processes
● 3+ years experience in a design leadership role (all in digital), 7+ years designing at consumer-focused tech or media companies overall
● An exceptional portfolio of consumer-facing desktop/mobile web projects (shipped to market) that demonstrates your ability to elevate a brand through innovative and joyful web experiences
● Ability to work within an existing brand universe
● Experience with a range of sketch, wireframing and prototyping tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Sketch, Proto.io, Zeplin, whiteboards, and, pen and paper)
● Experience working in an agile environment with a cross-functional team
● Experience managing design resources
● A passion for lifestyle brands is a plus
● Knowledge of front-end development is a plus
● Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]