Design Director at Rent the Runway
About Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Job
Rent the Runway is seeking a Design Director/ Art Director to join our Creative team. You will be responsible for the Rent the Runway visual design identity, setting the design standards and overseeing its application across all channels, both in practice (ie directly executing design work) as well as in oversight (ie overseeing the creative executions of the Visual Design team). Executions of the Rent the Runway visual design system (digital and print) include but are not limited to the following channels: Paid, Email, Social, Site, App and print). You will work in concert with our Art Director and VP - Creative and Production to ensure that the visual design standards are both upheld as well as evolved and refined over time. In addition you will be tasked to art direct occasional shoots and ideate video concepts across marketing and editorial channels to promote RTR through contemporary imagery and storytelling. Passion for visual design, strong typographic and layout skills as well as nurturing, growing and inspiring the creative team.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with Cross-Functional Channel Leads (Marketing, Content and UI/ UX team.) to vet and digest the design briefs and execute against those briefs in a timely fashion.
- Build and evolve a cohesive visual identity to help drive faithful execution against a style guide across channels to enhance the RTR brand experience.
- Create and refine existing visual design systems/ templates that promote consistency of visual design within each channel (Email, Paid, Social, Retail, Presentation, Site and App).
- Oversee and manage the design output for a team of visual designers, working closely with them to understand their strengths and opportunities and coach them in their development as designers as well as help setting and achieving career goals.
- Partner closely with Team Leads to ensure strong communication between Visual Design, Content and Art Direction.
- Art direct shoots and videos across both marketing and editorial.
- Conceptualize and present creative campaign ideas through moodboards and mockups.
- Review designs daily to ensure consistency and standards in execution.
- Partner with PM, Creative, to keep improving processes for visual design execution.
- Be up to date on consumers, cultural and design trends and foster creative curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication/ graphic design and a minimum of 10+ years of experience in visual design/ multi-disciplinary AD role for in-house brands or agency.
- Strong understanding of design principles, layout and best practices across digital, UI/ UX, print, and a desire to continually strengthen that understanding.
- Excellent typography skills and an extreme attention to detail.
- Art Direction experience within fashion
- Passion for management and mentorship of creative talent.
- Well organized and solutions-oriented.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment yet maintaining the highest design standards.
- A collaborative team player with an interest in learning from and listening to others.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (working in Sketch is a bonus)
- Solid understanding of best UI/ UX practices.
- Past experience working in luxury or fashion
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.