About Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Job
Rent the Runway is seeking a Design Director to join our Creative team. You will be responsible for the Rent the Runway visual design identity, setting the design standards and overseeing its application across all channels, both in practice (ie directly executing design work) as well as in oversight (ie overseeing the creative executions of the Visual Design team). Executions of the Rent the Runway visual design system (digital and print) include but are not limited to the following channels: Paid, Email, Social, Site, App and print. You will work in concert with our Art Director and Creative Director to ensure that the visual design standards are both upheld as well as evolved over time. Passion for visual design, strong typographic and layout skills, as well as nurturing, growing and inspiring a team are a must.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with Cross-Functional Channel Leads (Marketing, Growth and Product teams) to vet and digest the design briefs and execute against those briefs in a timely fashion.
- Evolve a cohesive visual identity to help drive consistent execution against a style guide across channels to enhance the RTR brand experience.
- Build on existing visual design systems/templates that promote consistency of visual design within each channel (Email, Paid, Social, Retail, Presentation, Site and App).
- Oversee and manage a team of visual designers, working closely with them to understand their strengths and opportunities to coach them in their development to achieve their desired career goals.
- Conceptualize and present creative campaign ideas through moodboards and mockups.
- Review designs daily to ensure consistency and standards in execution.
- Partner closely with team leads and Project Managers to ensure strong communication between Creative, Content, and Product.
- Be up to date on consumers, cultural and design trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Communication Arts, Fine Art or a related field.
- 8-10 years of experience in a Senior Designer, Design Director, or equivalent role for in-house brands or agencies.
- At least 3 years Design Management experience
- Strong understanding of design principles, layout and best practices across digital, UI/UX, print, and a desire to continually strengthen that understanding.
- Excellent typography skills and an extreme attention to detail.
- Passion for management and mentorship of creative talent.
- Well organized and solutions-oriented.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment yet maintaining the highest design standards.
- A collaborative team player with an interest in learning from and listening to others.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch or Figma, and Google Suite
- Past experience working in fashion, ecommerce, or beauty.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.