Design Operations Manager, Design Systems at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Design Operations Manager
The Design Systems team is responsible for the concepts, guides, systems, and components that define our customer experience. We are tasked with building these things in concert with teams across the company.
As the Design Operations partner embedded on this team, you will be tasked with maintaining close collaboration between Design, Product, and Engineering to implement our systems across product offerings and ensuring designers have what they need to generate high-quality design outputs.
What Design Ops handles
- Workflow: How the design work flows throughout Better
- Tools: Ensures the design team has the tools to get the job done
- Governance: Who needs to see the work, and when
- Infrastructure: What the team needs to work more efficiently
- Pipeline: Ensures there is clarity on projects coming up and how well staffed the team is
- Evangelization: Help the company understand the value of design
- Culture: Helping build and maintain a thriving design community
What you’ll do
- Work on strategic projects that operationalize our design system - defining scope, identifying resourcing needs, and handling stakeholder management.
- Partner with Design leadership to define and implement a structured curation and contribution process.
- Drive Design Systems-led initiatives to incorporate across other teams’ roadmaps.
- Facilitate meetings to drive progress against goals and objectives, establishing clear next steps and owners, and resolving blocks that impede progress.
- Manage design Jira tickets to enable transparency and manage workloads.
- Work cross-functionally to identify workflow issues and integrate procedural improvements.
- Track and communicate progress across your projects, ensuring the teams are on track - facilitating decision-making, resolving blockers, and surfacing challenges.
- Enable continuous improvement during projects, ensuring insights are captured, shared, and integrated.
- Become an evangelist, advocate, and educator on behalf of our design systems team, elevating the team’s presence within the organization.
- Always be acutely aware of the team’s needs and provide feedback to our design leads in order to ensure all designers experience an enjoyable and balanced work environment.
- Help develop process improvements for Design Operations as a whole
Who you are
- You have 5+ years experience in a Design Operations or Program Management role working with a Design team, ideally with some of that time spent working on a design systems team.
- You have a real passion for working with people. Supporting and enabling them to do their best work.
- Strong operational and facilitation skills, with a proven ability to plan, coordinate and execute projects.
- Clear, compelling presentation and communication style.
- You have an ability to work with multiple leadership styles, and can be effective in unstructured and ambiguous environments.
- You're excited to join a growing Design Operations team and build something great!
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.