Designer - Feasibility
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 27 buildings, 6 cities, and over 800 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 3,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking an Architectural Designer to join our Design and Construction Team to develop housing for shared living. We are looking for a proactive individual who can navigate the balance between both the qualitative and quantitative; the creative and practical. The position will require the candidate to jump between layouts, calculations, on-site scoping, drafting, coordination, project management, and illustration. This is an opportunity for a talented thought leader to help conceptualize and execute better housing across multiple cities at a large scale. This role will report to the Senior Architecture Designer.
- Provide test-fit layouts and conduct feasibility studies across a wide array of housing typologies.
- Work closely with internal Real Estate team to design and analyze homes in our pipeline. This includes conducting testfits and feasibility studies in parallel with a financial pro forma across a wide array of housing typologies.
- Since Common is not the AOR for our homes, you will collaborate with our partners’ architects to ensure quality of the brand through advisory and review. This includes schematic programming, layouts, coordination with local architects, drawing review, writing specifications, FF&E design, and construction administration. Unlike the experience one would get in a traditional firm, the job will not include production of drawing sets or formal exploration.
- At the Associate level, this role will require a focus on large-scale, higher-profile projects. You will be required to provide oversight and project management support of a high-volume (and growing) portfolio. As this role is client-facing, you will be directly involved in leading conversations and making presentations to our partners. You will become a representative of Common and good salesmanship is required.
- You are expected to work autonomously to see and solve problems, and get the work done.
- You will be asked to lead projects and initiatives and work inter departmentally with peers.
- In addition to project-specific design, we are constantly refining and challenging our model for shared living. You will need to question and optimize our designs with feedback data from other teams. You will verbally and visually communicate ideas through diagramming and illustrations to fold architectural thinking into our brand.
- This role will involve mentoring and coaching peers on technical knowledge and design.
- There will be opportunities to travel to project sites as necessary.
- Master’s Degree in Architecture required.
- 3+ Years of experience in an architecture/design firm required.
- 2+ Years of professional experience in residential design is required and portfolio must demonstrate experience or thinking in housing or residential design.
- Professional experience with US city approvals (code or zoning) required.
- Eye for interior design and finishes preferred.
- Proficiency in Rhino, Autocad, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign required.
- Candidate must be detail-oriented and comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative and analytical reasoning.
- Candidate must be very organized and be able to multitask across large number of projects with various deadlines.
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing and implementing best practices.
- Candidate must be a direct and proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.