Director, Product Design – UI/UX Mobile & Web
Report to: Chad Evans
Location: New York City
Major League Baseball Advanced Media is looking to hire a Director of Product Design to lead our New York-based Product Design team. We are looking for a Product Design leader with an extensive background in design strategy and innovation on products with millions of users. With a history of solving difficult business challenges, this individual will be responsible for building and embracing the design culture at MLB as well as building beautiful mobile and web UIs that will be used by millions of people every day.
Just like our teams, we are looking for the best of the best: Someone with a passion for creating simple, yet engaging, user experiences. You think first about what our fans want. You naturally collaborate with teammates to conceptualize, design, and prototype in order to bring designs to life. You are a problem solver who confidently creates user flows, journey maps, wireframes, and prototypes, and you are equally as capable at leading a talented design team.
• Be the Bridge: Collaborate effortlessly across Product, Engineering and Content teams
• Seek out and identify novel ways to improve MLB’s Product through design
• Manage, mentor, and grow MLB’s Design team
• Own responsibility for designing interfaces across iOS, Android and web
• Create detailed wireframes as well as visual design comps
• Create User flows and journey maps
• Produce multiple concepts and variations – you know when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fidelity sketches
• Effectively communicate conceptual ideas and detailed design rationale both verbally and visually
• Contribute to the definition and scope of project timelines
• Collaborating with the entire Product Design team and participate in review sessions for other MLB projects
• Evaluate Designs and provide actionable feedback to other designers
• Capable of handling multiple projects at any given time
• 8+ years of experience designing and delivering products in cross-functional teams
• 3+ years of leadership experience
• Experience recruiting, hiring, managing, and developing a high performing team.
• Experience running product design teams that collaborate effectively with engineering managers and product leaders
• Technically adept and familiar with UI and UX trends on iOS, Android, and the web.
• Experience directing brand, visual, and user experience/product design of projects, across both web and mobile platforms
• Experience using analytics an user research to help make design decisions
• Possess bold vision and passion for great design
• Ability to understand user needs, motivations and behaviors and translate them into easy-to-use interfaces
• Detail-oriented and ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
• Strong knowledge of User Experience design processes and methodology
• Ability to collaborate with others to envision and iterate on concepts
• Advanced proficiency with design and prototyping tools like Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, InVision and Principle
• And…some knowledge of Baseball doesn’t hurt.