Director of Product Design at Updater
Are you a passionate Design Leader who knows product decisions aren’t always #000000 and #FFFFFF? Did you subconsciously count the number of clicks it took to get to this page? Does your Univers often revolve around extolling the finer differences between Proxima Nova and Montserrat? Well then you just might be the Director of Product Design we’re looking for!
Imagine yourself working on one of the most universally relatable problems. Everyone has moved and everyone thinks moving is painful. Updater is solving for that pain at scale and we need you to help us.
As Updater’s first Director of Product Design, you’ll be managing a growing Design Team and collaborating with world-class startup teams of Product, Engineering, Data, Marketing, and Business in our beautiful office overlooking Union Square.
You might be conducting in-person user interviews in the morning, brainstorming new experiences with our team over lunch, prototyping in the afternoon, and sending out that prototype on UserTesting overnight to get feedback. We move fast.
In addition to collaborating with teams across the company, our Data Team is particularly unusual - built out by the former Data Lead from Heroku - we surface insights on user behavior way beyond what is normal for a company of any size. It’s a massive advantage, and the right Design Leader will be incredibly excited about the opportunity to collaborate to segment users in smart ways and craft experiences that not only convert, but also delight.
What You'll Do
- Define and champion Updater’s core design philosophy and principles, and spearhead making those part of every Updater product and experience
- Improve overall quality of design and visual experiences by establishing and rolling out consistent design patterns & experiences across the product
- Own and lead the build out of our (budding) design system
- Develop appropriate process between Design and Front End Engineering to help us ship faster
- Ensure strong design and user experience from beginning to end
- Hold your team accountable for delivering cohesive and strong designs to product and engineering
- Grow and mentor a healthy and happy Design Team
- Create a design culture that attracts and retains outstanding product designers
What You Have
- 7+ years of experience designing software products with 3+ years leading design teams at product companies
- At least 2 years focused on mobile-centric experiences
- Proficient in Sketch, InVision, Webflow, Zeplin, UserTesting
- A passion for user research and user testing, and deep experience analyzing user feedback and behavior
- Experience working with a Data Team to uncover actionable insights
- Strategic design thinker, a collaborator and a champion of the user
- An excellent communicator, able to synthesize research in a compelling way to rally the team to solve real user needs
- Ability to understand the brand principles and ensure they are properly represented in the product
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Product Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, or a related field (we welcome designers with non-traditional backgrounds and career trajectories)
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater was named a top 100 Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC twice and was ranked as the highest rated tech company on the list in 2016. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.