Fashion Technical Designer at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Job:
Responsible for fitting for RTR Designer Collective apparel. Categories include woven, knits, sweaters and outerwear across multiple brands. Communicate directly with our domestic & overseas vendors and factories to identify and resolve fit and pattern issues. Responsible for the brand's technical fit standards. Day to day responsibilities include creating specs, measuring garments, conducting fits on live fit models and adjusting patterns.
What You’ll Do:
- Maintain consistency in fit aesthetic for each brand. Develop & update a library of blocks and patterns to ensure standards are being met to support best fit and to expedite the production process.
- Lead all fit sessions. Fit garments weekly to meet RTR standards and brand integrity with the ability to cut, mark and reconstruct garments during the fitting to show desired fit intent and fit corrections. Ability to adjust patterns, analyze garment construction and workmanship. Measure samples, compare construction and overall execution vs. tech pack requirements.
- Communicate effectively all intended fit corrections and technical information to domestic and international vendors. Issue graded specs to vendors.
- Close working relationships with Designers, Vendors, and Sourcing to create trend right & cost effective styles in relation to fit & construction
- Conduct fits on live models and review issues with team
Tracking & Deadlines:
- Maintain responsibility of wear rate and react to any items that return high for fit and analyze findings.
- Work with teams to understand any return rate opportunities with-in each market for specified brands.
- Maintain the monthly rolling time and action calendar including milestones such as packet completion, sending of fit comments and graded spec approval.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience and education.
- 7+ years related experience; pattern skills required.
- Pattern grading knowledge
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to partner between many departments / internal business partners.
- Strong Microsoft Suite skills required specifically Excel.
- Experience working with a PLM
- Must be detail oriented and able to handle multiple tasks at once.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.