Freelance Retoucher, Creative
About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. We’ve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Job:
Rent the Runway is looking for a Freelance Retoucher to work closely with a team of Art Directors, Stylists, and Retouchers to produce high-quality imagery in a high volume, fast-paced work environment. This role will require the Retoucher to retouch, crop and upload all digital assets for Rent the Runway, including on-figure, on-form, still life and editorial imagery. The candidate should display strong Photoshop skills including high-end skin retouching techniques and acute color correcting ability. Candidate must have strong communication skills, be self-motivated and enthusiastic. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of retouching experience in an e-commerce and/ or luxury photo studio environment. Candidates must submit a portfolio along with a resume to be considered and must have demonstrated fashion experience and passion.
Website must be included at the top of the cover letter and resume. Applicants without an online portfolio will not be considered.
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for maintaining high quality while executing a high volume of images under very tight deadlines.
- Able to interpret creative direction and collaborate with Art Direction and Director, Photography & Retouching and apply to final product in accordance with established style guides.
- Adhere to post-production retouching process and resizing requirements, including photo mark-ups and web-ready deliveries.
- Has a good eye for color, understanding of retouching language, and compositing techniques for editorial imagery.
- Perform quality assurance on all images, including ensuring color consistency across all images per project.
- Name and maintain digital asset organization.
- 5+ years retouching experience with a portfolio focused on beauty and fashion – product, still life, skin and hair
- Bachelor’s degree in photography or combined 4 years of experience in a studio environment.
- Strong desire to contribute in a highly collaborative environment and promote the collective output of the studio team with positivity and a passionate work ethic.
- High technical proficiency in Mac OS X, Photoshop, and Wacom pen tablet
- Previous experience working in a digital photo studio
- Proven ability to work efficiently and produce a high volume of retouched images
- Proven ability to work to strict deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Hands-on knowledge of color theory and color management working within sRGB web and CMYK spaces.
- Proficient in Capture One Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, Acrobat and Mac computers.