Head of Design
We are the world's most popular online marketplace for original educational resources. Our strategy of unlocking the wisdom and expertise of the world’s educators has helped us become the go-to place for finding the resources, knowledge, and inspiration educators need to teach at their best. We offer more than ~4 million free and paid resources, created by educators who understand what works. Our marketplace is growing every day to meet the evolving needs of the PreK-12 classroom. When educators get the resources and support they need, they're best equipped to inspire our next generation of learners.
TpT is a marketplace, but it’s also a community of dedicated, creative educators — those who publish their resources and those who seek out solutions to real problems in their classrooms. We are grateful for their collaboration, their innovation, and their pioneering spirit. Together we support the educator connections that create magic for students everywhere.
We’re Looking for a Head of Design
TpT is growing fast, you’ll help lead us through our next phase of growth. We’re on a path to make proactive moves to elevate design and design thinking at TpT. You’ll get to walk in the door ready to scale and manage a talented team of product designers, visual designers and researchers, operationalize the function, introduce new norms, strengthen current practices, and level it all up in a way that is as clarifying as it is inspiring.
Today, the demands on teachers are as high as they’ve ever been. As our Head of Design you will be tasked with developing a team (with the right processes, systems, tools, and rituals) to help everyone at TpT create digital products, services, and experiences that deepen the relationships with our educator communities, wherever they are in the world.
- Scale the size and health of Design at TpT by attracting, developing, and retaining the best Product Design, Visual Design, and User Experience Research talent
- Codify our design team principles, processes, toolkits, and rituals (and empower all our designers to amplify the messages)
- Increase our thought-leadership and participation in design and tech design communities
- Lead and enforce product design best practices with our Engineering and Product counterparts
- Expand our brand and visual identity to account for current and future growth into new products, services, and audiences
- Inspire thoughtful and purposeful design initiatives by guiding the team to create desirable, usable, and clear interfaces for our educator communities
- Identify ways to improve the user experience by measurable user outcomes
- Create the conditions for a rigorous and challenging design environment
- Grow our user research and user testing function so we can continue to validate design decisions, interpret user feedback with critical hypotheses, and make tough decisions
Qualities of a Successful Candidate
- An actionable collection of learned experiences — earned through years of previous design leadership — that you are eager and able to transfer to our organization
- A bias towards action
- Road-tested and refined toolkits, methodologies, and frameworks that have track records of measurable results
- A knack for listening, learning, and identifying what is most important amongst a large set of priorities and data points
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with Engineering, Product, and Executives on company-level strategies, planning processes, and product roadmapping
- 10+ years of experience in design leadership roles within successful high-growth technology companies (Marketplace or Community-driven companies are a plus)
- 5+ years of Product Design management experience
- Degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent Education experience
- Experience in education or at an e-commerce company
- Parental leave for both mothers and fathers to be able to take some quality time in bonding with their new addition to their family
- Comprehensive Medical & Dental Benefits
- Mother’s Room
- Quiet Room
- Company Events (Bring Your Child to Work Day, Field Day, Camp TpT, Hackathons etc.)