Head of Design at Orchard
Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy. Every year in the U.S., $1.5 trillion of single-family residences transact, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions – the sale and purchase of a home – stress free, fair and simple.
Orchard launched in 2017 and was previously known as Perch. The company is headquartered in New York City, has 150+ employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $300 million in financing from top tier investors including: Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose.
Role and Responsibilities
- Business Savvy - ability to understand our business and identify opportunities within real estate ecosystem to drive innovation and impact. Possesses great business judgment.
- Customer Focus - uses customer research and insights to drive decision making and design choices. Possesses deep customer empathy.
- User Experience - your design superpower will be focused on user experience and concepting ways to solve a customer problem and ways to delight a customer.
- Team Leadership - creates a culture of creativity and driving results. Brings out the best in people, helps develop team, and hires exceptionally well. Drives cross team collaboration
- Bias for Action - we are a company that makes informed decisions quickly. You will be an active participant in product strategy discussions and must be comfortable in a very fast-paced environment.
- Lead design strategy for our Customer-facing products that make buying and selling their home a breeze. Lead design strategy for our Platform products that enable our internal team of real estate agents, home inspectors, transaction coordinators, home renovators, and more to drive profitable and scalable operations.
- Partner with product team to identify product features and functionality related to business objectives
- Balance multiple product streams, prioritize, and work well under pressure in a fast-moving working environment.
- Inspire, lead and mentor the Product Design team. Establish the highest standards for the design team in terms of design and accountability – and motivate through pursuing greatness everyday.
- Foster design thinking grounded in customer research and analytics
- Run design sprints as needed to drive to optimal outcomes
- Ensure UI for products we ship with Product and Marketing to are consistent with Orchard design standards in terms of visuals and voice
- Build a culture of consistent user feedback and testing that can be actionable to designers
- At least 7+ years prior design experience in a B2C business
- UX design background
- Experience working in growth stage business
- Demonstrated track record of success in building products based on consumer needs and research
- Appreciation of brand design and the belief that products shipped must represent the brand with consistent visual identity and language
- Experience managing and hiring high-performing design teams
- People describe you as:
- Having high standards
- Strong drive for results
- A great collaborator
- Having a low ego