Head of User Research
About the role...
At Policygenius, we believe user research is our primary tool to de-risk what we build before we build it, as well as understand and improve its performance after launch. The product & design teams focus nearly 60% of their time on their discovery backlogs; lining up experiments and prototypes in order to validate or invalidate our riskiest assumptions first. Understanding and having empathy for our real, human users is at the center of our approach to building product and we’re very excited to be expanding the research team!
In this role, you will...
- Report to the Chief Design Officer and partner with the full product team to identify key problems, find the right solutions, and usher them into reality
- Audit & improve the research capabilities and toolbox of the product & design teams
- Help designers and PMs conduct & evaluate research within their teams
- Build out and manage a team of user researchers to increase reach & impact
- Plan and carry out research efforts for more robust/intensive studies
- Be the lens through which teams can reframe their core customer problems
- Help craft compelling stories behind findings and their practical implications
- Follow & shape research outcomes all the way through into live product
- Close the learning loop by reconciling new findings and broadcasting them to the team
- 7+ years of experience conducting user research within product organizations
- Excited to tackle a monster, consumer-facing challenge being experienced by millions everyday
- Significantly experienced working with key company stakeholders, and at your best when you’re educating teams about user research
- A proven track record of managing and developing research teams
- Adept at cross-functional communication
- A pragmatist at heart, able to balance speed and rigor effectively
- Comfortable taking the wheel to tackle complex and sometimes ambiguous problems
- Excited to help shape our research culture here at Policygenius and looking to have one of those Lady & The Tramp spaghetti moments with your next employer
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO [for relevant roles]
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
Policygenius is America's leading online insurance marketplace. Since 2014, our mission has been to help people get the financial protection they need (and feel good about it). We make it easy for our customers to understand their options, compare quotes, and buy insurance, all in one place. Our CEO and co-founder, Jennifer Fitzgerald, is one of only four women in the US fintech space to raise over $50 million in venture capital funding, and we’ve helped more than 30 million people shop for all types of insurance, placing over $35 billion in coverage to date.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Despite rapid growth (we’ve doubled in size year over year!), we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we're looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine's "Best Workplaces" two years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!