Interior Designer at Common
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 27 buildings, 6 cities, and over 800 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 3,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking an Interior Designer to join our Design and Construction Team to create interior design for shared living. The position will require the candidate to provide Interior Design services to our partners through concept mood boards, drawing sets, specifications, and sketch renderings. This is an opportunity for a talented thought leader to help conceptualize and execute better housing across multiple cities on a large scale. This role will report to the Senior Manager for Interior Architecture.
- Understanding and implementing of Common’s design philosophy
- Works closely with the Interior Architect, assisting him/her during all phases of the design process from concept to handover
- Creates, prepares, and presents interior design concepts for the review of Interior Architect
- Develops design intent schedules, outline and criteria/performance specifications schedules for the review of Interior Architect
- Capable of assisting with space planning as well as assisting and developing drawings from conceptual design through design development sets
- Strong project leadership skills: work as a part of the Interior Architecture team and with external consultants
- Strong client and vendor management skills
- Capable of working on projects from concept design through construction administration
- Firm understanding and sharp eye for interior finishes and materials
- Work with the team to build a materials library from scratch
- Ensures documents and presentations are filed in accordance with Common’s design standards
- Strong knowledge of vintage and contemporary furniture, lighting, and fixtures
- Capable of producing finish + fixture schedules and experience managing project budgets
- Proficiency in millwork detailing, specifications and reviewing shop drawings
- Proficiency and experience in furniture and lighting production, selecting, sourcing, quoting
- Ensures regular reviews at key design stages with Senior Interior Architect and Manager
- 4+ years of experience in Residential Design, Hospitality experience is a plus
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Interior Design
- Proficiency in millwork detailing
- Experience assembling and producing drawing sets
- Experience and excitement in being in a collaborative work environment
- Knowledge of local and online showrooms and resources, industry trends
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, creative environment
- Sharp eye for interior design and finishes required
- Candidate must be detail-oriented and comfortable supporting their ideas
- Candidate must be very organized and be able to multitask across a large number of projects with various deadlines
- Candidate must have a talent for customer service and client management
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing and implementing best practices
- Candidate must be a direct and proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Must have proficiency in:
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) and a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.