Lead Designer, Creative
About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. We’ve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
Rent the Runway is seeking a Lead Designer to join our growing Creative team. As Lead Designer, you will be responsible for owning the Rent the Runway visual design identity and overseeing its application across channels, both in practice (i.e. directly executing design work) as well as in oversight (i.e. overseeing the visual design executions of the Visual Design team). Executions of the Rent the Runway visual design system include but are not limited to the following channels: Paid, Email, Social, Site, App, Retail/ IRL, etc. You will work in concert with our Art Director and VP, Design and Production to ensure that the visual design standards are both upheld as well as evolved and refined over time. The ideal candidate has a passion for visual design and for evolving expertise in this area, as well as nurturing and growing younger design talent.
- Work closely with cross-functional Channel Leads (Brand Marketing, Paid Marketing, Brand Partnerships, PR, Retail, etc.) to vet and digest the visual design briefs and execute against those briefs in a timely fashion.
- Establish and evolve a clear brand visual identity style guide to help drive faithful execution against that guide across channels and over time.
- Create visual design systems/ templates that promote consistency of visual design within each channel of design communication (Email, Paid, Social, Retail, Presentation, etc.), and drive adoption of those templates by the visual design team and its partners across the organization.
- Oversee and manage the design output for a team of visual designers, working closely with them to understand their strengths and opportunities and play to both in their development as designers.
- Partner closely with Creative Team Leads to ensure strong communication between Visual Design and Art Direction, and maintain the health of those working relationships.
- Foster curiosity and education around design trends to develop the visual design talent at Rent the Runway and allow it to push the visual brand forward.
- Partner with Lead PM, Creative, to constantly iterate on and improve processes for visual design execution.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7+ years of experience in visual design for in-house brands or agency/ freelance clients
- Strong understanding of design principles and best practices across digital, print, physical contexts and beyond, and a desire to continually strengthen that understanding
- Passion for management and mentorship of more junior talent
- Well organized, detail- and solutions-oriented
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
- A naturally collaborative team player with an interest in learning from and listening to others
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have an interest in art, photography, video content and the latest design trends
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
- Demonstrated appreciation for the RTR brand and its potential, and past experience working in luxury or fashion a plus
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.