Lead UX/UI Designer at Tastemakers Africa
Founded in 2015, Tastemakers Africa is a trusted community marketplace for black millennials looking to connect to culture and heritage worldwide. Our roots are in disrupting the narrative on travel in Africa through authentic experiences with locals in African cities. We now have our sights on taking this model throughout the continent and across the African diaspora in an effort to build community, connections, and understanding among people of African descent.
Experiences on Tastemakers Africa are tours, events, and activities that gives guests "insider level" access to culture and community wherever they travel. Each curator is selected based on their connection to the community, their passion for sharing their city, and the interesting and unique way they can create something epic for visitors.
In a short time Tastemakers Africa has become one of the most influential brands in Africa and within the diaspora community worldwide. That influence is set to reach epic proportions with the launch of new cities and an expanded product line. Our ambition is to shape the future of travel and make, shape, and lead significant cultural impact and in turn, establish Tastemakers as a voice and authority in culture-forward, authentic travel that goes beyond surface.
In order to realize this opportunity, Tastemakers Africa is looking for a lead UX/UI designer to make the Tastemakers platform an addictive, world class product that meets the needs of black millennials and culture curious travelers around the world. You’ll user test, design UI/UX, and own the Tastemakers visual brand. Our designers are multi-faceted with distinct points of view. While they are not afraid to experiment they back up their work with data that maintains that our users and community are at the center of our decisions. We see our technology as a community interface and an entirely new experience inspiring travelers and entrepreneurs across the world - our design team brings that vision to life.
Our day-to-day switches between user research, usability testing, post-production for social, wireframe iteration, and high-fidelity mockup delivery. Our month-to-month switches between different, design projects: including the Tastemakers global re-brand, web platform, mobile app, curator experience, and more.
Tastemakers designers are expected to be ambitious, opinionated, user-centric, and data-driven. We are building a marketplace with many different user types, may different user products, and the goal of connecting travelers, creatives, artists, and entrepreneurs in the real world. Product lives online and offline and you’ll have a hand in every step. Your day-to-day will vary, but you can expect to spend your time as follows: 30% on UI, 30% on UX, 20% on brand design, and 10% on user research, and 10% on post-production and content. You’ll be responsible for:
- Applying user-centered design principles and processes to create the best possible web, mobile, and in-person experiences.
- Working with a multi-disciplinary product team to iterate and turn designs into scalable features.
- Conducting regular quantitative and qualitative UX research, including user interviews and usability testing.
- Prototyping and test user flows in collaboration with entire product team.
- Designing and iterating wireframes and high-fidelity mockups of product screens.
- Taking ownership of the Tastemakers visual brand.
- Developing brand collateral for events, activations, and community engagement.
- Continuously communicating with the product team and all of Tastemakers HQ.
- 3+ years of experience with end-to-end UX/UI product design
- Comprehensive understanding of Adobe Design Suite and digital design tools
- Experience with cross-platform design (Responsive Web, iOS, Android, Email Campaigns, Print)
- Experience working closely within multi-disciplinary product teams including software engineers
- Great communication skills - the ability to effectively communicate design ideas and decision rationale
- Traveler-centric prioritization and team-centric collaboration
- Experience with post-production (video and still) for social and web publication
- Experience working with travel and/or startup environments
- Experience working alongside software developers
- Experience building products for diverse audiences
- Travel, cultural curiosity, and meeting new people as core to our culture
- Work on a suite of products that will change the travel industry for the better
- Small-team collaboration, mentorship, and pair programming
- One fully-covered large design conference, retreat, or workshop series per year
- An annual team conference in Africa
- Ongoing internal team workshops and local design conference access
- Monthly happy hours with our HQ team in New York
- Health Insurance
- Monthly MTA benefits
- Tastemakers experience credits, to be used by you or gifted away
- 0% - 1% Equity (depending on applicant experience)