At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Justworks is looking for a self-starting and entrepreneurial UX Design leader to help us build and maintain the growing digital presence of our brand on our public-facing marketing websites. Equal parts manager, designer, strategist, and UX-guru, this cross-functional role will collaborate and communicate with internal (and potentially external) stakeholders, partners, and teammates. This role manages, mentors, and coaches UX/UI designers to uphold quality, operationalize processes, and nurture skillset growth.
The Manager, UX Design sits on a cross-functional team of engineers, product managers, designers, and web producers and reports to the Senior Manager, Experience Design. Together, we create experiences that are memorable, helpful, seamless, and give people a taste of what it's like to be a Justworks customer. If you’re someone who values moving quickly, working iteratively, and innovatively driving product initiatives across the company - we’d love to hear from you.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Craft and implement design work that drives online lead generation, positively impacts business performance, and improves the user experience for prospects and customers while continuing to uphold Justworks’ brand principles
- Participate and help guide the maintenance, evolution, and translation of Justworks’ design guidelines across various website properties and other standalone product sites to ensure a cohesive brand experience
- Mature our user research practice, championing data-informed decision making and upholding design quality within Marketing
- Partner with design leadership and the team to continuously improve design meetings and processes to account for the fast growth nature of the company
People Management / Leadership
- Provide UX design and research expertise to support designers of diverse backgrounds and skills
- Attract, develop, and maintain design talent, through creating and protecting a sense of belonging and engagement
- Support the professional development of your direct reports through feedback, goal-setting, and regular check-ins
- Test programs with the close-knit design team to maintain career growth, transparency, and collaboration
- Conduct regular listening tours within Marketing and other departments to build relationships and your mental model of Justworks
- Partner with website, content, integrated marketing, and other teams to create a cross-functional and collaborative development process specific to your domains
- Foster collaboration between brand design and product design to create a cohesive customer experience
Other duties as needed based on department and/or organizational needsHow You Will Do Your Work
As a UX Design Manager, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Business insight- applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals
- Functional expertise-subject matter expertise of specific function(s), including knowledge of principles, practices, and domain knowledge.
- Nimble learning-actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Adaptability-the ability to adjust your approach or actions in response to changes in your external environment.
- Clear communication-the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
Function Specific Competencies:
- You seek to create designs that are approachable, clean, and elegant. You know the difference between “good” and “great” and are able to work through team dynamics and timelines to deliver excellent design.
- You use analytic and visualization tools to assess the impact of varying design and decision solutions.
- You work well in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teammates through collaboration. You’re able to guide your team through a project start to finish, and make it a positive experience for everyone involved.
- You seek feedback from stakeholders, partners, and teammates. You digest it, distill it, incorporate it into your work, and follow up. You involve others in the design process. You approach conversations with openness and a sense of possibility.
- You’re flexible and open-minded. When strategies change, you’re able to adapt and change course as necessary. You’re optimistic, embrace the “yes and…” style of communication, and are open to new ideas and ways of working. You model a growth mindset for your team.
- You’re not afraid to test, and learn, and possibly fail.
- You strive to incorporate the Justworks leadership and marketing team competencies into your day-to-day mindset and working style.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 2+ years of design and people management experience
- Minimum of 5+ years of designing for web and digital experiences
- Have a portfolio of past work showing process, a human-centered approach, and the outcomes
- Authentic mentor and coach who gives and receive candid feedback to support learning and growth
- Experienced in providing design direction and upholding quality through UX and visual design guidance
- A strong advocate for the customer, the design team, and the designer’s way of problem-solving
- Ability to build relationships through strong communication skills (listening, transparency, empathy, and openness)
- Biased towards partnering with others to co-create, align, and realize shared vision
- Adaptable to complex domains and ambiguous situations by asking the right questions and managing priorities to build a shared context for the team
- Have a growth mindset. Self-aware of strengths and areas of development
- Willing to experiment and iterate on design operations
- Quietly awesome, humble, thoughtful, and genuinely care about the quality of what ships to our prospects & customers
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment