Packaging Design Director
We’re Away. We make thoughtful objects for modern travel. For us, getting Away means getting more out of every trip to come.
We’re looking for a Packaging Design Director to lead physical product design and packaging for our line of suitcases and continued product expansion. This individual will be responsible for developing and maintaining scalable processes. The Packaging Design Director will work closely with Product Development, Creative, and Operations teams to ensure we’re creating the highest quality product experiences for our customers.
This position will report directly to our Creative Director and work from our headquarters in NoHo, NYC.
What you’ll do:
- Drive new packaging innovation by developing creative assets and design concepts that meet the business objectives and advance our brand strategy
- Ensure the Away aesthetic is successfully implemented across projects, helping to maintain consistency across all channels
- Generate original concepts with a fresh visual approach to design and materials
- Maintain packaging standards and help evolve visual systems as we continue to grow into new markets, products, partnerships, legal requirements, etc.
- Maintain pulse on industry trends, new technologies and innovative product packaging
- Streamline packaging development process for new products and facilitate ongoing improvements taking into account the customer experience
- Ensure all projects are delivered on time and within budget, while maintaining quality and design integrity
- Manage risk assessment process, escalating risks to key stakeholders when necessary
- Leverage internal and external resources to ensure fully optimized solutions
Who you are:
- 5-7 years of experience in packaging design for large goods
- Proficient in 3D CAD
- Passion for minimalist design with cohesive vision across design approach
- Knowledgeable of primary, secondary and tertiary packaging types
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple complex projects
- Knowledge of packaging manufacturing, materials and molding processes
- Ability to predict, recognize and define problems, and generate, select and implement timely solutions
- Nuanced understanding of Away’s brand, aesthetic, voice, and mission
- Experience with overseas product development a plus
- Competitive salary + equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Fitness reimbursement
- Quarterly company outings
- Annual international team trips
Away (awaytravel.com) is modernizing the travel experience, beginning with your luggage, while striving to set the example for how socially conscious companies should conduct themselves. In November 2015, we launched our brand in Vogue, GQ, and USA Today, and have been featured in over 100 publications including New York Magazine, Travel + Leisure, and Wallpaper*. Away was founded by two Warby Parker alums and has raised $31M in venture funding led by Forerunner Ventures, Accel Partners, and Global Founders Capital.