Principal, Product Design at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About You: You believe design is a method for solving problems, not a deliverable. We are looking for experience in advocating for the user, while leveraging potential business and technical constants. This will require you to both understand the problem you are solving and execute the appropriate solution.You know (as much as you might fight it) the constraints of technology are just as important as their promise because it’s in the constraints we find our best ideas. Someone who sees the patterns in the chaos and knows how to translate those patterns into tools for the design teams. You know there’s a time for going wide, a time for going deep, and understand how to bring the product diners teams you work with through both stages. You are a thinker, a maker, and a passionate advocate for the Minimum Delightful Product approach to the mantra of “move fast and ship it."
You’ve been doing this for awhile now but still like to get your hands dirty. You're using the latest tools, you’re familiar with the trends in the industry. You’ll be as happy whiteboarding as doing detailed visual design when needed. While you won’t necessarily be executing day to day work you, will be giving hands on instruction / mentorship with UI and UX for the design team as a whole. The craft is as important as the strategic mindset.
To support our platforms and business, we are currently seeking a seasoned and highly experienced Principal Designer to provide design oversight across critical company initiatives and to provide leadership & team mentoring within our Design team.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- You have a passion for digital consumer experiences, across web + app platforms
- You are an incredible designer with strong design chops and have shipped, time and agai.
- You’ll lead projects across Diner, Restaurant, Driver experience and help set the vision for initiatives, working with multi-disciplinary teams and business partners
- You’re a people-focused leader that enjoys co-making with others and helps advocate for ways design can impact the business
- You care about the impact of your work, have experience tracking data of the things you built, and using data to help make design decisions
- As a coach, you’ll create a space for designers at all levels to ideate, helping them accelerate their problem solving and provide exceptional hands-on execution when needed
- You are biased to action, with a pulse for progress, adept at contributing with impact, quality and focus
- You’ll serve as a key member of Grubhub’s Design Leadership team helping to shape goals and strategies to reach them
You Should Have
- 10+ years experience in Design and user experience
- 7+ years experience providing design leadership within cross functional teams
- Demonstrable commitment & engagement in the broader design community
- Strong ability to own the definition, prioritization, resourcing, and execution of strategic efforts for the evolution of diner products
- Strong collaboration skills to ensure seamless partnership between Product Management, User Research, and Engineering Leaders to ensure the delivery of work aligns to the overall company goals
- Superior domain knowledge and expertise in several design competencies and how they relate to business and technology
- Bachelors Degree in Creative or Design related field
***Submissions without a portfolio that includes examples of your design work will not be considered.***
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.