Product Design Manager at Stash
Stash is a digital-first financial services company committed to making investing and banking accessible to everyone. By breaking down barriers and building transparent, technology-driven products, we help the 99% build smarter financial habits so they can confidently save more, grow wealth, and enjoy life.
We are seeking a Product Design Manager to join our growing product design team. In this role, you'll inspire and lead a group of designers to better understand our customers and our business and craft a best-in-class experience that supports their needs.What you'll do:
- Support and develop a team of designers. You’ll provide leadership, direction, and mentorship for several product designers spanning multiple product areas. We’ll look for you to set them up for success by setting clear goals, providing consistent direction and feedback, and inspiring them to push the quality of their design work.
- Guide product strategy. In each of your product areas, you’ll provide guidance to help your team members identify the most important problems to solve and create simple, elegant solutions that fit into a larger, unified product experience.
- Push the boundaries. While we’re proud of how far we’ve come, we know that we still have plenty of room for improvement. You’ll encourage our designers to experiment with new ideas and stretch their skills to create experiences that help our customers and our business achieve new heights.
- Ensure a high level of design work. You’ll set new standards for design excellence and work closely with your team members to ensure that their work meets a high bar at each phase of the design process.
- Represent your team. As a leader within our design organization, you’ll champion your team’s work and the decisions behind it, as well as be an advocate for user-centered design.
- Build healthy and productive relationships with cross-functional partners and executives. In order to ensure that our design process is operating smoothly and that your product teams are creating solutions that are cohesive and well-informed, you’ll foster strong partnerships and operating rhythms across the company.
- Improve design productivity and efficiency. As a leader within our design organization, you’ll help us to improve upon our existing processes and workflows and standardize them across the company.
- Roll your sleeves up and contribute as a designer when necessary. While your primary responsibilities will be focused on guiding product strategy and setting your team members up for success, at times you may need to hop into a design tool and do some hands-on design work in order to ensure that your product teams are achieving great outcomes.
- 5+ years of experience working in product design and 2+ years of experience managing product design teams
- A track record of leading product design teams through successful product launches across iOS, Android, and web
- An understanding of both the execution of design and the business aspects of the products
- The ability to think big and understand complex feature sets
- Effective in working across organizational boundaries to define, manage, and prioritize work
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- A strong information design experience with a solid foundation of UX design heuristics
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and retaining multi-disciplinary design teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Deep knowledge and applied experience in visual design (layout, typography, color)
- Superb attention to detail
- Ability to work well on an ego-free, highly-collaborative, and cross-functional team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products out there. Our success is directly related to the employees that we hire, grow and retain and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Perks:
- Equity in Stash
- Flexible Vacation
- Family-Friendly Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Learning & Development Stipend
- Commuter Benefits and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee referral bonuses
- Stocked fridges & kitchens and catered lunch on Fridays
- Thursday happy hours
- Team outings that do not involve trust falls...
Awards & Recognition:
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019)
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019)
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work (2019)
- Built in NYC’s Startups to Watch (2018)
- Wall Street Journal's "Top 25 Tech Companies To Watch" (2018)
- MarCom Awards Double Gold & Platinum Winner (2018)
- Webby Award Winner for Best Mobile Sites & Apps in the Financial Services and Banking category (2017)
- W3 Awards Winner for Best User Experience (2017)
**No recruiters, please.