Product Designer - Design Systems at Codecademy
We are NYC based but remote friendly!
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
As a Product Designer on our Web Platform team, you’ll work on evolving Codecademy’s Design System, Gamut, where you’ll be proactively building out our component library and documenting design patterns. You will be defining processes and proposing new methods to help elevate design at Codecademy. You’ll be partnering closely with designers and engineers from all our product squads to align on current and upcoming design system needs, track status and communicate updates to stakeholders.
Your work will empower millions of people worldwide to learn how to code and create something. Together, we can redesign education and create the best online learning experience, leading to tangible skills that make access to real world employment opportunities a reality!WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design and evolve Codecademy’s Design System, its components and design patterns
- Collaborate closely with Designers and Engineers to gather requirements, align on problems and goals and ensure quality
- Document design guidelines and actively share knowledge on how to design and build with our design system
- Communicate regular updates and planning with stakeholders to help drive adoption and consistent usage of our design system
- Advocate for the Learner in every part of the product you touch and be their voice within the product development process
- Research and institute best practices to mature our systems practice in both design and engineering
- Pursue a north star of seamless collaboration between design and engineering
- Experience with designing Design Systems within a product organization
- Understanding of best practices and processes around evolving and maintaining design systems
- A human-centered design process that produces thoughtful and engaging product design work
- Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to soundly discuss design decisions
- Demonstrated history of shipping complex, solutions-oriented product design work
- Strong graphic design foundations mindful of typography, color usage, visual hierarchy, etc.
- Maintain a Visual design point of view while being able to work within a structured design system
- Experience performing and analyzing UX research
- Proficiency with Figma and prototyping tools
- A passion to continually learn and help others in their educational pursuits
- Experience designing with semantic HTML & CSS (experience with React is a big plus)
- Experience using Figma and Storybook in your workflow
- Comfortable translating motion design/animation into front end implementation
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.#LI-Remote