Product Designer (NYC) at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
The Product Design team at Cockroach Labs is responsible for creating a scalable consumer-grade UX that makes data easy for all users of CockroachDB. We’re seeking a Product Designer to help design the future of CockroachCloud, Cockroach Labs’ fully-managed database as a service.You Will
- You will lead CockroachCloud projects across the entire product design lifecycle, from proposing initial concepts to shipping high-quality features; contributing to all aspects of design, including research, testing, interaction design, and visual design.
- You will collaborate with a small multi-disciplinary team that includes UX researchers, tech writers, product managers, engineers, and business partners who share your passion for delivering great experiences for our users.
- You will help maintain and iterate on our design system with other product designers, and advocate for scalable design solutions with frontend engineers.
In your first 30 days, you'll go through our CockroachUniversity training program and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems our team is solving. You'll learn how to use the CockroachLabs Design System and UX Research Hub. You'll review any in-flight projects and begin to tackle some smaller tasks in the design backlog. You'll begin building relationships with the other product designers, engineers, product managers, and members of the broader organization that you'll be working with day-to-day. You and the Director of Product Design will have the first of many long-term career planning conversations to understand your goals and how Cockroach Labs can best help you achieve them.
After 60 days (if not sooner), you’ll be fully integrated into the team. You will own major design decisions for CockroachCloud, partnering closely with your team’s product manager and engineers. You’ll ensure that our design values and iterative processes are clearly understood and built into every design decision made.You Have
- 3-6 years of experience designing enterprise and/or complex consumer applications
- Proven track record of success in building engaging products and can showcase your work.
- Leadership in an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism.
- Experience in ownership of projects and communicating timelines and executing independently.
- Experience working with common design tools (Figma, Sketch, Zeplin).
- Experience using an established internal Design System.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate on cross-functional teams.
- Experience designing for B2B enterprises Saas products.
Reporting to Jeremy Bloom - Director of Product Design
Jeremy Bloom heads up the Product Design team at Cockroach Labs. He is responsible for our design process, system, and strategy. Before Cockroach, Jeremy was a Principal Product Designer at Percolate, designing enterprise Saas experiences for Marketers. Prior to Percolate, Jeremy lead the design for American Express iOS, Apple Watch, and Android applications. When he’s not at work, Jeremy is probably reading a novel, getting in some exercise, or exploring the city with his wife and three-legged pup Carl.
Nate Stewart - Chief Product Officer
Nate is responsible for the overall product strategy and the activities we take to guide Cockroach Labs to product-market-fit. As a former engineer, Nate has seen how the challenges of working with data in unreliable, distributed environments often distract from building great things. Nate joined Cockroach Labs to help companies avoid that pain once and for all. When he’s not at work Nate can be found spending time with his family, reading a book from his Goodreads queue, or trying to remove the rust from his tennis game.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]