Product Designer at Cityblock Health
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
Product Designers at Cityblock collaborate with engineering, business, clinical, and product teams to design and build our digital product for member care. In this role, you’ll help execute each phase of the design process—from research, synthesis, and ideation, to UX & visual design, prototyping, testing, and launch. Designers serve a vital role at Cityblock, shaping high-level visions while polishing the smallest interaction details. Our ideal candidate is a generalist with a passion for serving others in need and delivering complex care operations at scale. Someone who will listen to users’ needs to yield insights that inform product strategy and guide design. We appreciate people who think deeply, speak clearly, and embrace collaboration and feedback.
We’re investing deeply in improving care management and care coordination over the next year; as a product designer on this team, your contributions will greatly impact how care teams go about their workday, and help shape the interactions they have with members.
Requirements for the Role:
- Foundational product design understanding (typography, interaction, visual design, and ideation), and experience conducting user research
- You have an excellent portfolio showcasing your work.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have a basic understanding of the technology used to implement designs and consider that when developing solutions.
- Conduct user research to gain a deep understanding of our users’ motivations, goals, pain points, and day-to-day realities
- You advocate for users and build solutions informed by their direct input.
- Ability to collaborate with product managers, operations teams, and engineers to understand problems, pose solutions, facilitate discussions, and give feedback in planning and product channels
- Can work closely with engineering to ensure high-quality implementation and user experience.
- Experience evolving the design and capabilities of a product used in various settings—like at a desk, on a train, or at a member’s bedside.
- A drive to create the right tools and experiences that enable complex humans to become engaged Cityblock Members.
- Passion for informing and improving design processes and team culture.
How we define success
- To be successful in this role you need to be a self-starter; you proactively seek out ways to make an impact and improve the product, and you collaborate closely with your team to make it happen
- You design for impact; you love to validate whether your solutions work by using qualitative and quantitative analysis
- You’re organized; you’re able to take on projects big and small and effectively prioritize with the help of your team
- You’re comfortable with uncertainty; you can make sense of chaos, take accountability over a problem space, and innovate ways to move the space forward
- You understand that product strategy is design, too; you partner tightly with product managers to develop strategy and rationale for features
- You understand that static screens can only go so far; you enjoy prototyping to explore and convey design solutions and interactions
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience working in health technology
- Time spent collaborating with clinicians, social workers and/or underserved communities
- Experience designing internal tools and enterprise software
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and React, and an ability to help polish and ship code
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.