Product Marketing Designer
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Design at Venmo
We love making things, so our days are spent with our heads together, pondering the right things to make and how they should work. We huddle with engineers, product managers, marketing, and researchers, working closely together on projects from start to finish, and turn ideas into beautiful, simple, and lovable products that work well and convert. We have white-boarding jam sessions, prototype thoughtful stories, and create pixel-perfect designs that bring it all together. We design separately and together, teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests. We know we're never completely done. We ship, iterate and learn from our users.
What does it mean to be a Product Marketing Designer at Venmo?
The Venmo design team is a small group of big thinkers that collaborate across offices in San Francisco, Chicago, and New York. We’re obsessed with considering better ways of sending and requesting money between friends so it’s simpler, faster, and…um…less awkward. We have product designers focused on the iOS, Android, and web experiences. We have designers that toil over the right words to bring simple interactions to life. We even have designers that create better and more efficient tools for our in-house customer service team.
But something’s missing, and we’re hoping you may be the key to making the team complete. You’ll bring your expertise in branding, marketing, illustration, and graphic design to communicate our product vision and brand to our customers. By sitting on the product design team, you’ll have a deep and empathic perspective on all the ways Venmo touches people’s lives, but you’ll frequently work with the marketing team to deliver these product stories to current and future Venmo users. You’ll collaborate with product designers, writers, product managers, engineers, and external agencies to execute a range of delightfully imaginative brand assets for campaigns, websites, promos, packaging, and experiences. You’ll combine a thoughtful, data-backed understanding of our users with our fresh-with-potential brand style to conceptualize, strategize, sketch, and produce a wide range of deliverables to an equally wide range of stakeholders.
What we expect from candidates in this role:
- An inspiring portfolio of websites, apps, identities, illustrations, visualizations, environments, or artifacts.
- A minimum of 4 years experience in a marketing, brand, or visual design-related field at a design/interactive agency or in-house team.
- Demonstrable skills with the usual suspects: Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, etc.
- Confident and strong verbal and written communication skills that allow you to effortlessly convey complex concepts effectively to a range of techies and non-techies.
- A rock-solid understanding of visual design fundamentals and how to execute them.
- Experience working across different business units or teams with different perspectives.
What you will do:
- Consider mailer packaging options for our Venmo Card and sketch up some ideas.
- Design a fun, on-brand Google Slides template for internal and external presentations.
- Share your knowledge of branding and design with marketing strategists, copywriters, and engineers.
- Work with our web platform design lead to identify and design brand assets for new web pages.
- Create fantabulous email promo graphics that are trend right, on-brand, and that incorporate what we know resonates with our users.
- Attend a trainer-led morning workout in our in-house yoga studio that enlivens the rest of the day.
- Collaborate with product designers to refine and evolve how the brand is expressed in our products.
- Create a video and product snapshots for the app store that show cool new features.
- Work with the PayPal creative studio team on a product photography shoot.
- Think about what great Venmo swag might be, and design some creative, fun, and just plain awesome giveaways.
- Curate the Venmo visual brand and explore ways we can make it even better.
Nice to have:
- Studio photography
- Video production / editing / motion graphics
- Digital product design / UX / interaction design
- Typography design
Please include your portfolio/website, work samples, Dribbble, github, etc. in your application. Applicants who do not include these examples in their application will not be considered.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.