Production Artist at Harry's
About the Team
The Design Team at Harry’s is responsible for designing and launching products, packaging and retail displays for Harry’s and Flamingo in the men’s and women’s grooming categories in Retail and DTC channels. As Harry’s and Flamingo continue to grow, the team will be the primary driver of design innovation to support a challenging and fast-paced product road map driven by category, retail and geography expansion.
The Art Production Team is responsible for elevating the physical expression of all Harry's and Flamingo packaging and retail displays, while continually improving our workflow. We maintain clean and polished work while innovating on the use of materials and methods to push our brand to stand out within the world of consumer packaging. We keep the customer at the core of all creative objectives, working hand-in-hand with Design, Product Development, and Supply Chain to create phenomenal packaging and displays.
About the Role:
Production Artists at Harry's are responsible for the conversion of design files into press-ready mechanicals. While honoring the Designer’s intent in all ways possible, you will refine designs into a mechanical artwork file sufficient for printing with print suppliers and public retail distribution. You will also be responsible for routing all artwork internally to cross-functional partners and iterating on all artwork, per cross-functional markup and art direction.
Having extensive knowledge of commercial packaging and retail displays, production artists will consult with designers throughout the process to ensure all artwork is suited to the manufacturing technique. Production Artists will follow their projects from concept through mass production: Reviewing supplier proofs, color chips, prototypes and attending on-site press approvals across the globe to ensure the highest quality results.
- Consult with Designers throughout the development process, and honor their intent when converting their designs into mechanical artwork files.
- Work closely with Store Design team and ID team to write and iterate on print specifications for retail displays and packaging to share out with print suppliers and cross-functional partners
- Ensure that all artwork and copy meet all necessary regulatory requirements when needed
- Check All artwork to ensure accuracy of copy, color, and content
- When blocked, work independently and effectively attain clarification and push projects forward
- Route all artwork internally and implement markup changes without error
- Understand and select the manufacturing processes that best suit specific designs and objectives
- Evaluate color and finishes in-house during material sampling, and on location with our manufacturing partners
- Understand how materials can affect color and deliver detailed feedback to suppliers in order to achieve desired results
- Check printer supplied proofs to ensure accuracy when compared to released artwork
- Work independently and efficiently, with superb attention to detail, while under pressure, within aggressive deadlines
- Be proactive in recognizing process improvements for the team and give recommendations during production team meetings
- Be willing to help out other production team members when needed
This should describe you:
- 5+ years as Production Artist within a product company, design studio, creative agency, or print publication. or, from the manufacturing side. (from a product manufacturer, printing company, packaging supplier, etc.)
- Experience conducting press approvals on-site at printing and packaging suppliers. Able to build phenomenal rapport with print sales executives, and press operators alike.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Intimate knowledge of formal typographic and graphic design convention; ability to supply artwork in various file formats according to the manufacturing process
- Expert ability to create original manufacturing die-lines, iterate and impose artwork onto die-lines supplied by suppliers
- Experience with writing error-free print specifications to release to suppliers
- Professional understanding of litho and digital printing processes as well as the concept of plate separation
- Fluent in 4-color process, Pantone matching systems, studio color management, color profiles, proofing
- Strong hands-on studio skills for prototyping packaging designs, as well as light-duty installation skills for retail merchandising
- BFA/BA in Graphic Design or Media preferred. BA required.
Here's who you'll work with:
- You’ll be reporting to the Production Manager, sitting on the Design Team
- You’ll work with these teams cross-functionally: R&D, Supply Chain, Retail, and Marketing
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.