Senior Brand Designer at Betterment
Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
We are looking for an expert brand designer to partner with our Web Experience squad and create engaging, dynamic web experiences. You will bring creative, conceptual, and technical graphic design skills to work in harmony with our talented team of engineers, product designers, and content strategists to make our website better. That’s right, we’re not afraid of “better” jokes here at Betterment.
At Betterment we hire designers with a deep foundation in communication design—folks who are talented and eager to both learn from their colleagues and help make them better. You will have a direct impact on growing and visually defining a brand that values the importance of excellent design. As a creative team, we're focused and always strive for excellence. As a company, we're committed to being the only financial partner that you can be sure is continuously working to maximize your money.
This role is remote eligible. Colorado has an annual starting salary of $126,000 a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience.A Day in the Life:
- Art direct and define our brand presence on our website experience
- Work among a talented team of designers, providing one another feedback and perspective, driving for a cohesive experience across all touchpoints
- Partner with copywriters to concept and craft brand and product stories
- Collaborate with marketing professionals to become an expert on our target audience
- Work with our content team to learn which pieces of creative perform most effectively, continually iterating and improving upon everything we do
- A portfolio of exceptional brand and communication design work inclusive of design systems for on-screen graphic design
- A strong sense of typography
- Understanding of and passion for visual storytelling; ability to tell complex stories with simplicity
- Ability to think of design as a complex system of moving parts, with the expertise to keep our brand consistent while evolving it as needed, and ensure a cohesive design executions
- Ability to understand and maintain the creative intent of a project and determine any platform specifications or technical requirements the deliverables must conform to
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Figma
- Ability to adapt to changes in direction and own a sizeable part of a project with little oversight
- A collaborative working style—you'll work with others to empower and encourage the proper use of the brand, and you are receptive to feedback and direction
- Effective communication skills—you can clearly articulate your design decisions and you're comfortable presenting work to cross-functional teams and executives
- Read Robert Bringhurst’s “The Elements of Typographic Style”
- Experience (or a burning interest in learning) responsive design
- Experience working with engineers and knowledge of web design standards
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.#LI-Remote #BI-Remote