Senior Design Manager - Productivity Apps
Design at Compass
Compass is a real estate platform that provides comprehensive brokerage services, combining exceptional agents with thoughtfully crafted digital products to make the process of buying, selling, or renting a home intelligent, deliberate, and seamless.
Designers lead the full lifecycle of their designs across all platforms, collaborate with product managers on strategy, participate in research to test and validate designs, and consult with engineering to make everything come to life.
About the role
At Compass, Product Design is divided into feature teams: Productivity, Search and Listings, and Design Systems.
This role will be joining to lead and manage the design team responsible for our Productivity Applications feature area. Designers on this team work on applications that help make agents more productive in their work such as our features around Collections and Marketing Center. You will lead and manage a growing team of product designers focused on improving our existing productivity applications and introducing additional ones.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for an experienced design leader that has a proven track record. You’re a strategic and systems thinking designer who actively looks for ways to substantially improve our productivity applications. You have naturally good taste and are confident in your craft.
You have pixel-perfect standards with exceptional interaction design skills and an eye for accessibility and usability. You’ll work with front-end and UX engineers to ensure your designs are implemented perfectly.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading and managing a medium size team team. Compass manager expectations include hiring, developing, updating, recognizing, and retaining your team. We move fast here, so you should always be ready to roll up your sleeves and do actual design work to support the growing team.
You enjoy mentoring designers and can communicate your design process in a way that helps others grow.
You’re persuasive and are able to change the way people think in sensitive situations. You understand that getting people to see your side of things while protecting relationships is key to gaining acceptance and affecting change.
Above all, you’re an advocate for consistency with enough flexibility to accommodate critique and change.
What you get to do every day:
- Manage team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Lead delivery of major initiatives on clear timelines
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, and delegate assignments to direct reports
- Be proactive in identifying and clearing roadblocks for the team
- Excel at getting the team to focus on the highest impact projects
- Regularly interact with senior management or executive levels on matters concerning several functional areas, and/or departments
- Set clear expectations for team members and solicit, synthesize, and deliver feedback
- Build and develop a product team while clearing roadblocks and effectively prioritising team resources
- Learn how to lead, coach, and inspire a team of professionals
- Ensure your team consistently delivers simple, elegant, creative, cohesive product designs and drive those principles across the organization
- Be accountable for high-level key metrics and user experience measures
- Create and drive standards for our product through cross-functional communication
- Demonstrate expertise in our product line, review new business and use-case challenges
- Identify the need to consider new approaches, encourage innovation and make it safe to "fail"
- Inspire others by interpreting and communicating a clear vision, making courageous decisions, and executing in a way consistent with our values
- Establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements
- At least 7-10 years experience and proven track record in product design
- At least 3 years experience managing product designers
- Experience designing and iterating on business to business applications leading to a higher quality and more consistent product design
- Excellent written communication and compelling presentation style that helps you get buy-in for your ideas
- Deep experience working within a technical (and preferably agile) environment
- Comfort with a fast-paced work environment at a rapidly evolving organization
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.