Senior Design Operations Manager at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
As the Design Operations partner embedded in this team, you will be responsible for maintaining close collaboration between Design, Product, and Engineering to keep the work moving forward and partnering with other stakeholders in Marketing, Sales. You will be tasked with improving overall team communication, culture, collaboration, and removing roadblocks in our remote first environment to help create a highly efficient and integrated Design team.What Design Ops handles
- Workflow: How the design work flows throughout Better
- Tools: Ensures the design team have the tools to get the job done
- Governance: Who needs to see the work, and when
- Infrastructure: What the team needs to work more efficiently
- Budget: How much does running the design team costs, and why
- Headcount: How many people are needed and with which skills
- Pipeline: Ensures there is clarity on projects coming up and how well staffed the team is
- Retention: How to make people want to stay
- Education: What skills are missing and how to learn them
- Evangelization: Help the company understand the value of design
- Maintain an awareness of the work that allows collaboration cross team with Design & Product ops to identify and solve for gaps.
- Enable continuous improvement during projects, ensuring insights are captured, shared, and integrated.
- Drive team meeting cadence and strategy.
- Find ways to measure and report on the speed/velocity of delivery on your team.
- Act as a strategic partner to Design Managers/Directors on roadmap prioritization.
- Help lead high priority projects defining scope, identifying resourcing needs, and handling stakeholder management.
- Working closely with design leadership to form the best strategy for vision work.
- Bring design leadership together to align on critical problems across the team.
- Track and communicate progress across your projects, ensuring the teams are on track - facilitating decision-making, resolving blockers, and surfacing challenges.
- Establish and maintain Airtable/Jira workflow that connects to cross functional partners to enable transparency and manage workloads.
- Work cross-functionally to identify workflow issues and integrate procedural improvementsSupport prioritization of project requests for shared resources (designers, writers, etc) with ICs and Managers helping allocate resources appropriately.
- Help drive Culture & Community work streams, including onboarding new team members.
- Become an evangelist, advocate, and educator on behalf of Design, elevating the team’s presence within the organization.
- Always be acutely aware of the team’s needs and provide feedback to our design leads in order to ensure all designers experience an enjoyable and balanced work environment.
- Partner with Managers/Directors on Learning & Development initiatives for ICs.
- Help develop and contribute back process improvements for Design Operations as a whole.
- This role is designated as ‘Remote Mode,’ and employees are not expected to report into a Better office at any time. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not required unless fully remote employees attend an onsite, in-person meeting, office event, or otherwise interface with Better employees and/or customers in person.
- You have 5+ years experience in a Design Operations or Program Management role working with a Design team.
- You have a real passion for working with people. Supporting and enabling them to do their best work.
- Strong operational and facilitation skills, with a proven ability to plan, coordinate and execute projects.
- Clear, compelling presentation and communication style.
- You have an ability to work with multiple leadership styles, and can be effective in unstructured and ambiguous environments.
- You're excited to join a growing Design Operations team and build something great!
Job Req ID: JR101702
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.