Senior Designer, Soft Goods at Casper
Casper is looking for a special designer. Someone with a background in soft goods including Top of Bed, Decorative home and the fabrications included in Utility. Experience in loungewear or outerwear is also helpful. A designer with both skillful technical experience and a strong sense of design; The creativity and experience to know both the limitations and opportunities to evolve textile and material construction and processes and create both seasonal and evergreen collections; and the agility to transfer this knowledge across multiple product categories.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do...
- Join a multi-disciplinary team who are collectively responsible for defining, developing and building Casper’s growing family of products.
- Ability to synthesize the brand aesthetic and translate it into appropriate and category specific designs
- Participate in multiple design development methodologies including Casper Designed and Developed as well as leveraging external relationships. Creating brand eduction/rules for external consultants
- Participate in the entire development process, from design research and initial insights through form definition, feature development, CMF details and the creation of detailed documentation for production
- Collaborate with other design disciplines (design research, product management, engineering, graphic design, production, etc.) and across other functions within the company (supply chain, marketing, consumer experience, communications, etc.)
- Comfortable executing on both individual designs and whole collections around coherent themes, functions, prices etc
- Create physical and visual assets throughout the entire design and development process: sketching, creating prototypes, illustrations, renderings and detailed design drawings.
- You’re both highly creative and practical; your designs are both beautiful and functional.
- A deep understanding and experience with the tools and processes for soft goods design & development (eg: in the realm of outerwear, apparel, textiles, or footwear)
- Experience with weaving, knitting, cut/sew, finishing and processing.
- End to end experience in collaborating with both Material Developers and Vendors.
- A designer who sees how a solution fits into a larger strategy, and also enjoys diving into the details, (you see the forest and the trees)
- You build to think; you’re as comfortable sketching and building physical prototypes.
- You are passionate about creating delightful moments across the entire user experience
- Not essential, but experience with trims and labels would be a plus.
- Values and excels at collaboration with product development and product management Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Design with experience in soft goods, outerwear or apparel.
- 5+ years of design experience, including 2+ years leading projects
- Experience in a design consultancy and/or an in-house design team (ideally both)
- Willing and able to work in New York with travel commensurate with the position (10-20%)
- Participation in our HQ bonus program for some splurging and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...)..
- Wellness programs like cash incentives for tracking sleep and fitness, credits for your favorite studios and in-office activities
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- A full gifted bed set when you join and product discounts for friends and family!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!