Senior Digital Experience Design Manager at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, or SMB anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about creating experiences that empower millions of developers, sysadmins, and other internet professionals.
Design master. Magnificent mediator. Highly skilled multitasker. A great design manager brings it all to the party.
What does a DigitalOcean Design Manager do? To start, they use their design expertise and guidance to make sure creative team members work together creatively like a well-oiled machine, consistently bringing genius deliverables to life on time for internal and external stakeholders. Leading a team of thinkers and doers, we’re looking for an experienced designer and manager of people, someone that can inspire others and take our brand to a new level as we grow. The ideal candidate will have a natural eye for design and a drive to execute and iterate on dynamic ideas that connect with all types of audiences.
As a Design Manager reporting to the Director of Digital Experience, you will work closely in a fast paced environment as a player/coach with a team of developers, designers, program managers, and other stakeholders to produce branded solutions across various DigitalOcean properties. You will lead the charge in upholding, scaling and championing our brand guidelines and design system.
This role will help us shape the DigitalOcean brand for the future, bringing life to our company goals for the brand in 2021 and beyond. If you can share a portfolio that demonstrates the skill and expertise needed to succeed at this job and you’re excited about working with a beloved and growing brand, we want to hear from you.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Foster DigitalOcean’s culture and principles within the team while setting new standards in executional and operational excellence
- Design and deliver quality data driven user experiences that provide meaningful and measurable value to DigitalOcean users
- Lead design execution for business critical projects partnering and collaborating with the internal and external teams to bring campaigns and brand initiatives to life
- Coach team members to successfully navigate the brand design process with teams around the company
- Balance the strategic and operational needs of your team-from pitching ideas to negotiating trade-off decisions and coordinating resources
- Ensure team members are creating high quality work that delights our customers, helps our teams build more efficiently, and meets company objectives
- Cultivate positive relationships with executives and peers across the organization to ensure alignment and delivery of a holistic end-to-end user experience
- Promote informed decision-making using quantitative and qualitative testing to ensure users' needs are understood and met
- Collaborate with design leadership to evolve our process, tools and systems to ensure we’re creating great, consistent work
- Exercise strong communication and nurture a culture of contributing, feedback, and design excellence
- Participate in daily design reviews with the Design team to give and receive valuable critiques
- Rapidly prototype interactions and experiences
- Collaborate with designers and developers to manage, curate, and expand our design system
- Portfolio of UX-focused work samples for web and mobile applications
- Experienced leader who’s managed teams of designers in a fast-growing agile environment
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to define, manage, and prioritize work
- Helped develop tools and processes that support a strong design system at scale
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done—and then doing it
- Ability to present and sell your ideas, create coalition, and build support
- Test-and-learn know-how to measure and refine designs based on user and market data
- Strong project management abilities
- Experience with design efforts in B2B/SaaS space a huge plus
- Experience using design tooling such as Figma, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, or similar design tools (Adobe After Effects experience is a plus)
- Excellent verbal and visual communication skills, with the ability to explain complicated concepts in a clear and concise way
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!