Senior Director, Design and Art Direction
About Rent the Runway:
Recently named #9 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list for 2018, Rent the Runway is transforming the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by introducing clothing rental as a utility for women. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. Since our launch in late 2009, the company has raised more than $210 million from top-tier investors and built one of the most beloved brands on earth. We are proud to be both a profitable and high-growth business, with a loyal 9 million members who believe that rental is the future.
Our 1200+ employees have a revolutionary spirit that permeates our culture. We’ve built proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion brands - and we are obsessed with continuing to game change our customer experience.
We are also trying to revolutionize entrepreneurship itself - proving that diverse teams produce outsized impact. The Rent the Runway Foundation, which our two co-founders launched together in 2015, helps thousands of female entrepreneurs build and scale their own businesses with the mission of increasing the number of high growth women-led companies.
Rent the Runway is seeking a Senior Director of Design and Art Direction to join our growing Creative team. This role will be responsible for overseeing and developing various design deliverables across marketing channels, creative concepts, presenting ideas and art direction, and managing execution in support of predetermined business goals and the marketing campaigns that support them. Additionally, this role will manage the creation and delivery of cross-platform assets for web, native app, email, social and paid experiences. The ideal candidate has a strong attention to art direction, styling, branding and typography, with a strong understanding and passion for marketing.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners in Content Marketing, PR, Fashion and Growth to define and understand seasonal messaging strategy and campaigns in order to develop concepts, designs and art direction to support the strategy
- Execute innovative creative ideas and design solutions to advance Rent the Runway’s brand vision
- Collaborate and help manage external creative partners to support various Marketing, PR and Growth projects
- Daily collaboration with the Production, Marketing, Content, Fashion and Merchandising teams to execute world class designs, photography and video projects
- Manage a growing team of Designers and Art Directors while working closely to drive solutions around creative productions as it pertains to editorial shoots and video content
- Provide strategic design solutions for marketing materials such as paid, email, social, marketing landing pages, site/app refreshes, print and OOH
- Apply conceptual thinking and creativity to complex business problems and briefs from conception to production
- Be a proactive problem solver and thought leader by seeking out opportunities to better our visual communication or design
- Collaborate with other Creative team members to unite the visual brand guidelines and consistency across design and any assets (stills or video)
- Manage, produce and share multiple design and art solutions to a brief or project and provide strong recommendations based upon trends, data and best practices
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 12+ years of experience in an art direction or design role with experience in-house or advertising within ecommerce and apparel
- Strong conceptual skills and ability to formulate innovative ideas and provide clear direction and recommendations
- Strong understanding of creative production timelines, budgets and needs to ensure a productive on-set experience and output while maximizing video and still assets across the ecosystem
- Ability to manage, grow and develop a team of individuals that have various creative backgrounds and responsibilities
- Strong communication skills to drive alignment, direction and collaboration within the Creative/Marketing organization
- Ability to provide direction on-set to multiple people producing video or photo assets
- Well organized, detail and solutions oriented
- Strong conceptual thinker with design sensibilities
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Collaborative team player with an interest in learning and listening to others
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have an interest in art, design, photography, video content and styling
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
- Past experience working in luxury or fashion a plus
- Packaging Design experience a plus