Senior Product Designer - Moving Needs
Are you a passionate product designer who knows product decisions aren’t always #000000 and #FFFFFF? Do you subconsciously count the number of clicks it takes to get to a web page? Does your Univers often revolve around extolling the finer differences between Proxima Nova and Montserrat? Well then you just might be the Senior Product Designer we’re looking for!
Moving is one of the most universally relatable problems. Everyone has moved at least once and everyone thinks moving is painful. Updater is solving that pain at scale.
We’re looking for an experienced & empathetic Senior Product Designer for our Moving Needs team who is excited about making an immediate impact. This team is charged with helping our users with the myriad one-time decisions they have to make throughout their moving journey. This includes picking a moving company (or DIY moving services), claiming exclusive deals from our brand partners, submitting the USPS mail forwarding (our most engaged with feature), and updating your address at your various subscriptions and accounts.
The Moving Needs team partners with our Mover Journey, Home Subscriptions, and Platform teams to make our users more confident in the decisions they are making, reduce the worry that there are better options out there, and help avoid over-spending at a time when wallets can be tight. You’ll also partner with our Product Engagement Lead to craft effective notifications and re-engagement messages (email / push / sms).
You’ll be an early member of our three-person product design team, reporting directly to our VP Product. We are looking for someone who knows how to apply the right levels of research for the challenge at hand, who loves crafting beautiful consumer experiences, and is deeply empathetic to users and their challenges with moving. The ideal candidate is at the Senior Product Designer level who is looking for the right opportunity and mentorship to break through to a Lead level and take on more autonomy and strategic thinking responsibility. You’ll collaborate with world-class startup teams of Product, Engineering, Data, Marketing, and Business in our beautiful office overlooking Union Square.
In addition to collaborating with teams across the company, our Data Team is particularly unusual - built out by the former Head of Data from Heroku - they surface insights on user behavior way beyond what is normal for a company of our size. It’s a massive advantage, and provides an incredibly exciting opportunity to collaborate and segment users in smart ways in order to craft experiences that not only convert, but also delight.
What You'll Do
- Support and extend Updater’s core design philosophy and principles, and spearhead making those part of every Updater product and experience
- Become an expert in residential moving through user research, hypothesis setting, and smart testing
- Rapidly evolve Updater’s most engaged-with product area to significantly increase user engagement and NPS
- Improve overall quality of design and visual experiences by establishing and rolling out consistent design patterns & experiences across the product
- Build out of our (budding) design system
- Partner with Front End Engineering to implement well-crafted experiences that support best practices in accessibility
- Ensure strong design and user experience from beginning to end
- Help grow a healthy and happy design team and culture that attracts and retains outstanding product designers
What You Have
- 3+ years of experience designing software products
- At least 1 year focused on mobile-centric experiences
- Proficient in Sketch, InVision, Webflow, Zeplin, UserTesting, Optimizely
- A passion for user research and user testing, and deep experience analyzing user feedback and behavior
- Experience working with a Data Team to uncover actionable insights
- Strategic design thinker, a collaborator, and a champion of the user
- An excellent communicator, able to synthesize research in a compelling way to rally the team to solve real user needs
- Ability to understand the brand principles and ensure they are properly represented in the product
- Humility; a constant desire to grow and learn
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Product Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, or a related field (we welcome designers with non-traditional backgrounds and career trajectories)
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list, and ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.