(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. As a designer at Stack Overflow, you’ll create and build products that directly impact the work and the lives of those developers.
We’re looking for a senior product designer to join our Reach & Relevance team which focuses on driving awareness and engagement between technologists and relevant companies around their products & services. This is a great opportunity to work on our Reach & Relevance products, including our newest offering: Collectives™ on Stack Overflow.
You’ll also be spending lots of time working with all our other product designers, whether that’s contributing to our design system, participating in critique, working on guild initiatives, or just hanging out with us in Slack. We’re a team that rejects competition between designers and instead embraces collaboration and is always looking for ways to teach and help each other.
We’re looking for a generalist - someone who has the skills to do everything from research to early-stage design explorations to high-fidelity prototypes and mockups and front-end development. But most importantly, we’re looking for someone who’s excited to join our small team, to dig into big projects, and to learn and grow with us.Skills & Requirements
What you’ll do:
- Follow our fast-moving product development process in close collaboration with your product team consisting of engineers, researchers, product managers, and other designers.
- Identify when user research and experience design methods are necessary, and conduct or help conduct that discovery work
- Partner closely with our research team, drawing insights from their work and turning those into tangible solutions
- Design high-quality visuals, interactions, workflows, and copy that are user-centered and consistent with our design language
- Use your design work appropriately in context with the overall product and business goals to impact and drive product strategy
- Work with our world-class product managers and engineers to deliver your product vision, including writing design specs and reviewing work before it is shipped to millions of users
- Contribute to a collaborative and inclusive team environment where design ideas and feedback are shared openly and with the best intentions
What we need to see:
- 5–8 years of product design experience
- Applied experience of thoughtful, thorough design work in a responsive web setting
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about how a feature should look, but you’re interested in why we’re designing it in the first place
- Experience in conducting, digesting, and applying user research
- Experience with basic front-end development (HTML, CSS)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High levels of organization and ability to work independently
- (Desired) Experience working on a product in a two-sided marketplace
- (Bonus) experience with designing for developers or other technical audience
- (Bonus) experience using (and/or contributing to) design systems
What you might work on
- Bringing new content types to Collectives on Stack Overflow
- Build features that allow customers to interact with technologists to build stronger relationships and encourage valuable discussions around their products
- Add more structured learning opportunities for technologists to Stack Overflow
- Adapt moderation tools for newer content types such as articles
- Create and facilitate ideation and prioritization workshops around how to add value for Stack Overflow users
- We’re a distributed, remote team and you’ll be part of a work culture that emphasizes online & asynchronous communication with minimal meetings and ceremonies
- We’re generally very flexible on working hours, though we do ask everyone on the team to maintain an overlap with (at least) 10AM - 1PM US Eastern time
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters - please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here!
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for technologists to learn, share their knowledge, collaborate, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers and technologists visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Our products and tools help developers and technologists in life and at work. These include Stack Overflow for Teams, which focuses on knowledge management and collaboration, and Reach & Relevance, which focuses on developer marketing, community development, and employer branding.
We believe in building inclusive teams where we empower and support people to solve meaningful problems. We have an office in New York (currently closed due to the pandemic) with some of the best amenities and we have people who work remotely all over the world.
Our core values guide our work:
- Keep Community at Our Center: Community is at the heart of everything we do. Nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- Adopt a Customer-First Mindset: Authentically serve our customers by empowering, listening and collaborating with our fellow Stackers.
- Be Flexible and Inclusive: We do our best work when a diverse group of people collaborate in an environment of respect and trust. Create space for different voices to be heard, and allow flexibility in how people work.
- Be Transparent: Communicate openly and honestly, both inside and outside the company. Encourage transparency from others by being empathetic, reliable, and acting with integrity.
- Empower People to Deliver Outstanding Results: Give people space to get their job done, support them when they need it, and practice blameless accountability.
- Learn, Share, and Grow: Adopt a Growth Mindset. Be curious and eager to learn. Aim for ethical, sustainable, long-term growth, both personally and in the company
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote #BI-Remote