Senior Product Designer
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating simple experiences in a complex world.
We are looking for a thoughtful user-centered designer to take a leading role designing the core features of our cloud infrastructure products for developers and data scientists. Reporting to the Manager of Product Design, Core Products, the Senior Product Designer will join a close-knit, collaborative, and light-hearted team, making sure our customers get the best possible experience from our products and services.
Simplicity and usability are central to the DigitalOcean differentiator. The Product Design team has an impact across the organization, working with engineering and product teams to create experiences that make development much more enjoyable and much less frustrating. As the product grows, the challenge of keeping the platform and experience simple becomes even more crucial. Our team is committed to helping each other grow as designers and be impactful in our design work.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing experiences to help build DigitalOcean into a robust cloud host that is simple, friendly, beautiful, and powerful for application developers.
- Collaborating with designers and developers to use, curate, and expand our design system.
- Planning and running collaborative sessions to facilitate creativity, problem framing, and alignment of strategic direction.
- Discovering insights through continuous customer, user, and stakeholder engagement.
- Testing your designs with users. Iterating on your designs when they don't work.
- Owning design for a primary product, but understanding its role as part of a larger product suite.
- Finding new ways for the design team to succeed through process refinement and adaptation.
- Identifying potential roadblocks and working with team leads to find a collaborative solution.
- Participating in regular design reviews with the Product Design team, providing valuable critique and guidance.
- Rapidly prototyping interactions and experiences to communicate research findings and design intent.
- Hanging out with our friendly design team! :)
What We'll Expect From You:
- You can design user-flows, prototypes and interactions for a complex, highly technical system.
- You have professional experience designing transactional productivity applications.
- You have demonstrated repeated use of research methods to both get to the right design and get the design right.
- You make design decisions supported by design theory, research data, business goals, and team principles.
- You obsess over the details and keep the user at the center of your work.
- Expertise in either interaction or visual design, and the ability to understand what each one brings to the experience.
- You have experience partnering with engineers and understand how to collaborate with them.
- You are a self-starter, someone who feels responsible for their work and knows how to ask for help and guidance when needed.
- You are comfortable presenting and explaining your work, and have experience fostering a user-centered mindset in cross-functional teams.
- You are curious, and love to learn new things.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: User Experience
Want to learn more about our User Experience team? Clickhere!