Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Senior Product Designer (User Experience)
Discovery Digital Studios is in the process of revitalizing and enhancing its products across our Food Network and HGTV brands. Our aim is to translate the strategic vision of our lifestyle brands into delightful and engaging consumer experiences across web, mobile, video and emerging spaces.
As a Senior Product Designer you will lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple-use and product launches. You will set the vision and tone for the consumer experience and create the space for others to collaborate. You have a natural, deep aesthetic sensibility and a perpetual curiosity for new and emerging approaches to human centered design. You are a conscientious, curious, hard-working individual who craves accountability and loves to solve complex problems.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with other teams (Product, Editorial, Marketing, Engineering, etc.) to create innovative, world-class digital products that customers can’t live without.
- Empathize with our customers, create valuable experiences that are delightful to engage with, and are incredibly easy-to-use.
- Design flows and interactions that are simple and elegant across various platforms (web, mobile apps, connected TV, voice).
- Think systematically; streamline interaction patterns across the product yet optimize for each platform.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Define user tests to gather feedback and data.
- Think at a high level about creative strategy and vision. Not just how it should look, but what should be built.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, researchers, editorial and content teams to oversee the experience of a product from concept until launch.
- Be autonomous. You crave accountability, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
Who you are:
- You have at least 5 years of experience designing at consumer-focused tech or media companies; designing across platforms (web, mobile apps, connected tv, voice platforms).
- You see the big picture, yet have great attention to detail
- You have immaculate hands on skills creating journey maps, interaction flows, wireframes, and prototypes.
- You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, with a killer portfolio that demonstrates your digital product and interaction work.
- You’re a great communicator and collaborator. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make strategy come to life.
- You have a people-focused design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your design instinct through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
- You have a proactive attitude and strong time management skills. You share suggestions and take initiative for what needs to be done, rather than wait for detailed instructions.
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines with frequent interruptions and redefined priorities
Additional Job Requirements
Must love food, cooking, lifestyle, culture
Must have an online portfolio
Bonus points if you have…
Design Thinking experience
Connected TV experience
Visual Design experience
Amazon Echo/ Echo Show experience
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.