Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated and quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, and repackage it into something simple, intuitive, and enjoyable.
That’s why we don’t distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them — part business strategist, part user researcher, and 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
The Role: Senior Designer
As a Senior Designer at Better, your task is to blend design and strategy to solve complex user problems. You must be highly strategic and detail-oriented, with a deep understanding of visual design, UX, and service design. We’re looking for T-shape designers – experts in one area, yet comfortable with a broad range of challenges. This can encompass everything from tough interaction patterns to intricate service design solutions. Across them all, you can balance quick delivery timelines and the voices of many different stakeholders. Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and UX Researchers will see you as a partner, not just an executor.
Collaboration and critique are at the core of everything we do. We believe that creating the best product experience requires intense collaboration, constant questioning, and a healthy level of challenge. The user is always our focus. So, we don’t waste time presenting in Google Slides or Keynote. We prototype, test, and iterate — early and often.
The Product Team
The Homeowner Experience team is responsible for the end to end customer experience. The Borrower Experience mission is to build a product and service that empowers people to achieve their financial and personal goals through homeownership.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of experience
- A portfolio of exceptional work across digital products, and user experience applications
- Expertise developing and conveying ideas, data, and business concepts clearly in written and visual format
- Demonstrate and model beautiful, functional visual and interaction design, typography, and hierarchy
- Expertise in Figma and Principle
- Attention to detail— every decision matters
- A track record of shipping great design, and an understanding of releasing features in phased/incremental stages
- Experience and appetite for identifying and solving complex, ambiguous design problems with best-in-class solutions
- Proven ability to lead and collaborate in cross-functional environments
- Ability to create project timelines and prioritize current projects
- Impeccable execution and care for all aspects of design, from conceptual thinking to visual design
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and present findings, and articulate design rationale
- Experience working in a highly iterative, collaborative environment where people share work daily
- Familiarity with prototyping tools (Principle, Figma)
- Proven ability to ship work fast without sacrificing quality or impacting delivery velocity
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- Zero ego
What you’ll do:
- Ideate around, concept, and create exceptional product solutions for complex strategic problems across multiple touchpoints
- Create your own prototypes in Principle or a similar design program
- Consistently attend weekly shadowing sessions with members of other departments (Mortgage Experts, Sales Managers, Underwriters, etc.)
- Review, critique, and provide feedback to other designers
- Present work to other departments and be comfortable articulating the strategic rationale behind a given solution
- Identify product gaps and roadmap solutions with Product Managers and Engineers
- Partner with PMs and Engineers to set KPIs, gather data and iterate on existing product features/designs
- Work with our design systems team to evolve our design system
- Respond to feedback provided by external stakeholders and internal department leads
- IF WANTED: Mentor 1-2 designers
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.