Senior UI Designer at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Team:
The Design team at Rent the Runway is changing the way women get dressed every day. We design site and app features for our members that bring them ongoing value, helping them create a personalized closet in the cloud, and inspires them to tell their stories and discover more about themselves through our burgeoning community.
About the Job:
We are looking for an experienced Senior UI Designer to join our growing Design team. The ideal candidate is someone who is extremely passionate about developing design solutions driven by real customer data, and strives to turn these insights into best-in-class experiences across web and native app interfaces. You will not only have a mastery of interface design, but also think about design in systematic ways. You will work collaboratively with other UI and UX designers, marketing managers, product managers, engineers, and other key stakeholders and be a strategic partner to the Lead Product Designer.
Your work will help to inspire various teams across the organization by demonstrating what is possible before it is built. As the Senior UI Designer, you will execute elegant, intuitive designs that build on UX flows as well as advance product, creative, and business strategies. The ideal candidate is a resourceful self-starter with a passion for visual design, a deep interest in interactivity and front-end animation, a love of typography and composition, and previous experience using technology and user research to improve design solutions. Our designers are strategic thinkers and problem solvers who are always searching for ways to enhance the experience of using Rent the Runway. Finally, you are a strong listener to your creative and cross-functional peers, and a strong communicator both in terms of the concepts and designs you seek to push forward as well as the ways in which you are looking to do so.
What You’ll Do:
- Apply conceptual thinking and creativity to complex design problems from conception to production for site, app, email and other marketing initiatives
- Create high-fidelity designs, demonstrating functional thinking, visual communication, and pixel perfect execution
- Manage and track asset handoff to product and engineers and production process for all designs
- Responsible for visual QA
- demonstrate brand consistency across all platforms and devices while also pushing the aesthetic to be as modern and elegant as possible
- Partner with other creative team members to unite the visual style consistency across the brand
- Thoughtfully and professionally communicate your design logic and rationale both internally with your creative peers as well as cross-functionally, to further your objectives in a collaborative and personable way
- Identify aspects of the site/app that can be improved and justify your perspective with data as well as industry best practices
- Execute innovative creative ideas to advance Rent the Runway’s brand vision
- Bring positive energy and freshness to your daily collaboration with the product, tech and marketing teams to execute digital projects across all platforms
- Exude the desire to be challenged and inspired by new ways of thinking
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7+ years of hands-on experience creating digital experiences
- Well organized, solutions-oriented, with a desire to work in pixel-perfect detail
- Love for typography, grid-based design, and design systems
- Understanding of the UX process and design principles
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative team player with an interest in learning and listening to others
- Ability to present and pitch user-focused solutions to stakeholders
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Fluency in Sketch and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to prototype in InVision, Principle, and/or Figma is a plus
- Foundational understanding of front end development as well as established and emerging web technologies
- Past experience working in e-commerce, fashion, and/or a startup a plus, but not required
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future