Service Designer at Candid™
Greater NYC Area
!Sorry, this job was removed at 11:52 a.m. (EST) on Saturday, September 21, 2019
Candid™ is helping people get the straight teeth they've always wanted at prices they can afford. By simplifying the process (direct-to-consumer) and reducing costs (by up to 65% less), we can help more people feel confident and healthy. We believe that high-quality dental care should be affordable and accessible, and we're using tele-dentistry to facilitate the diagnosis and treatment of orthodontic patients across the U.S.. Candid is a breakout startup based in NYC, in a short 18 month period, Candid has delivered orthodontic access to tens-of-thousands of customers, has 300 employees and has raised ~$90M in funding. Our team includes startup veterans with experience across healthcare, hospitality, tech, and finance at companies such as Lyft, Squarespace, WeWork, Blue Apron, and Clover Health.
Candid also partners with Smile Train, a nonprofit organization that has provided corrective surgery for over a million children with cleft lips and palates. Many children with clefts around the world live in isolation, but more importantly, have difficulty eating, breathing, hearing, and speaking. Cleft repair surgery is simple, and the transformation is immediate. Candid donates money to Smile Train with every aligner sold, ensuring access to treatment in parts of the world that can least afford it.
Candid's Service Designers are ultimately responsible for developing Candid's service vision and setting the stage for our customers to have a joyful and noteworthy experience with us. To succeed in this role, your work will need to be rooted in both human-centered anthropological research to help discover, interpret, and communicate insights and opportunities in an inspiring way and a high level of systems literacy that makes you appreciate and work within (and sometimes to help redesign) the limitations and constraints of our backstage business systems.
Our ideal candidate brings expertise in designing omni-channel experiences, is a strong facilitator, communicator and collaborator. You understand that designing the experience is just a small part of the battle — that the hard work happens at the organizational level to see the intention through to reality. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary group of people like our business strategists, customer support, care specialists, product, and sales teams, to help uncover opportunities to drive a world class experience and the structure and discipline to help those teams prioritize and see the work through. You will have your finger on the pulse of Candid's experience, end-to-end, with an ability to size up pain-points, report on qualitative and quantitative customer feedback and a clear roadmap to evolve the service offerings of Candid.
Additionally, you will be accountable to holding and managing the universal service playbook for Candid. The playbook will, at all times, accurately reflect our values, voice, tone, systems, communications, customer touch-points and a change log of decisions made at the organizational level that affects the service our customers experience with us. This playbook will be central to how our service organizations stay aligned, make service or experience decisions, change processes that could impact our customer experience, and design products — and will always be available to the organization at large. You will report into the Chief Design Officer in our NYC HQ.
What You’ll Do
- All your projects will be run as part of a multidisciplinary team with customer-centricity as its core goal
- Plan and lead internal teams through fieldwork to arrive at analysis and clear synthesis of insights; make sure that all effort on this front is designed and structured to be human-centered
- Collaborate with teammates to translate insights into powerful stories, maps, journeys and strategic designs for innovative products, services, spaces, interactions and experiences
- Collaborate with and help manage outcomes of a diverse set of stakeholders along the design journey through workshops, co-creation, and interactive presentations
- Design for both the target user's experience and our organization's ability to implement and scale the experience
- Plan, develop, and launch prototypes that test your proposed new services in context. Use a validation and hypotheses-driven process, use data to prove your hypothesis and get senior leader buy-in to operationalize new services
- Use visual and verbal storytelling to share your discoveries, gather and integrate feedback, influence stakeholders, and create energy for an idea or an initiative to take shape
- Communicate confidently and effectively with executives at the highest levels in Candid
What You’ll Need
- 4+ years of research experience in all stages of the process (scoping a research process, leading fieldwork, conducting in-context interviews, performing desk research, synthesizing inputs, articulating clear insights and directions as a result of the research etc.)
- Experience translating research insights into tangible new products, services, tools, or offerings (connecting research to design). Experience in storytelling methods such as visual, video, or audio a plus
- Proven experience launching, running, or scaling a service or a business. Strong curiosity with new tools, technologies and methods that push learning in new directions, reach users in new ways, inspire the design team and content, or compliment depth of insight with scale
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills: fluency and confidence in inspiring teammates with user-driven rationale; experience in not only telling stories but also translating insights into actionable ideas/design. Comfort in using data to find and/or support a story is a plus
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently; exercising a balance between research rigor, extreme organizational skills, and leaving space for intuition and inspiration
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity
- Plan project activities and scope time and resources to best solve diverse needs
- Comfortable leading conversations among diverse, multi-functional teams, and confident in planning and leading workshops.
- A systems thinker, constantly connecting and synthesizing dots in pursuit of concrete outcomes. Thinking at the ecosystem level comes second nature to you
- A big plus if your background is in behavioral psychology, anthropology, business strategy, or operations
Pay & Perks
- Competitive compensation and equity in the business
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Easy access to work - across the street from 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R, W trains, and around the block from the F and M
- Commuter benefits
- Significant discount on our customized treatment plans and aligners
- You will grow a lot here. You’ll be surrounded by employees with deep experience in their field, who have a strong passion for doing great work and constantly learning
We continuously strive to create and maintain a diverse and inclusive environment, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Read Full Job Description