At Discovery, our mission is to serve passionate fans with products, platforms and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain through industry leading content and deeply trusted & beloved brands.
Discovery Digital Products is a fast-paced, innovative design, product and technology group that designs and builds industry leading products, platforms and experiences. What makes us unique from the rest of the burgeoning entertainment technology world is that we have award-winning content, work with a wide range of creators, and have the backing of a world leading Global Media Company.
As Sr. Design Technologist you collaborate closely with fellow members of the Product Design, Engineering and Business teams to conceptualize, design and develop groundbreaking interactive experiences across our core products, platforms and services. You are an integral part of how we work in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary customer-centered product environment. You will have hands-on experience as developer who can create interactive prototypes using research, and Design Thinking Methods. In this role, you will partner across multiple product, business and cross-functional teams responsible for global multi-platform portfolios.
At Discovery, we’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of customers and viewers who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented product and design colleagues, then this is the place for you.
This role is a Full Time Staff Position that will work on-site at our offices in New York and/or Los Angeles.
Discovery Digital is seeking an experienced Sr. Design Technologist responsible for designing and developing functional prototypes that meet customer and business needs across different mediums and platforms including multi-modal and voice enabled devices. This role will partner closely with research, strategy, business, design & development teams to design next-generation UX/UI concepts and structures across our products. The Sr. Design Technologist contributes new and improved designs, guidelines, and patterns across multiple platforms and modalities. They proactively research emerging technologies and identify sources of knowledge that impact design success and address our product’s future. The Sr. Design Technologist ensures a consistent, appealing, and dynamic customer experience. She or he will articulate design feasibility within existing systems and innovation paths.
1. Lead, Drive and Manage functional designs and prototypes for large-scale apps & product experiences.
2. Demonstrate proven success with multi-platform and multi-modal designs and project delivery.
3. Manage complex products and project plans with multiple work streams & dependencies.
4. Demonstrate and manage the highest design standards - providing clear Interaction and Design direction to team members, stakeholders, and research.
5. Hands-on Design and development for Product, Design and research teams through prototypes.
6. Lead & Define testing criteria for Voice UI, Interaction Design and UX Motion studies, A/B & Usability Testing of products/platforms.
7. Develop and maintain all component, template and code libraries, prototypes, and digital experiences.
8. Present concepts, strategies and goals effectively to Mid/Senior Executives.
9. Experience working in a large distributed global team.
* 5+ years of experience as developer, designer or product leader within a large-scale consumer facing organization, agency or multi-platform product company.
* Relevant degree (HCI, computer science, design, cognitive science) and/or equivalent experience.
* Experience with modern UI standards (accessibility, responsive design, grids, animation, performance).
* Multiple strengths for creating interactive, experiential, rich and effective prototypes and experiences.
* Natural curiosity for new tech & able to discern complex problems that arise from implementation.
* Thorough knowledge of prototyping strategies, measurements, tools, and ability to implement them.
* Effective collaborator in a team environment with cross-functional partners including designers, engineers, product managers, researchers, and content strategists.
* Strong communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to translate complex concepts to clear communication across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
* Deep understanding of the design process including awareness of research methodologies.
* Experience managing high performance teams of creatives across internal and external teams.
* Hands on experience with variety of user research techniques including user testing, personas, user tasks and scenarios, internal and external user interviews.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Hands on team player that can work easily with multiple stakeholders including Design, Product, Business, Data & Research, Project Management, Marketing, Networks and Sales.
* Experience working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
* Capable of leading Creative brainstorm sessions to ensure that customer centered with clear vision.
* Proven track record with a variety of successful products delivered across multiple platforms, screens and ecosystems with experience in multiple brands, productions and operations.
* Passionate self-starter with high-level of initiative, strong sense of ownership and a disciplined approach to quality and its effect on the intended audience.
* Excellent oral and written skills, and able to present to small or large groups of people including Design, Marketing, Production, Product Teams, and Executive Stakeholders.
* Uncanny drive and passion to deliver the best experience for consumers and proven track record to deliver compelling, innovative and award-winning user and product experiences.
* High confidence working on complex multi-platform consumer focused product ecosystems.
* Consumer Electronics, Entertainment & Lifestyle Product experience are a Big Plusses.
* Strong portfolio showcasing broad range Brand, Creative, and Design Process is a Must.
ONLINE PORTFOLIO IS REQUIRED FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS
* Online portfolio demonstrating broad skills, versatile aesthetic, high-end customer facing experiences, with expertise in design principles, thinking and usability. Please provide a link and any appropriate PDF materials to view your digital samples.
* Interested candidates must submit a Resume/CV online to be considered (note job#: TBD)
* Willingness to work long hours and on weekends with short notice as necessary
* Must be willing to work in New York, NY or Los Angeles, CA.
* Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
* Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
* Must be covered by Solutions, Discovery Inc. Alternative Dispute Resolution Program