Strategic Design Director
Strategy and research
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research investigations that help strategically frame, validate or challenge other forms of research
- Develop ethnographic research and contextual design investigations to understand customer behaviors, pain points, needs and aspirations
- Initiate future-visioning investigations through deep trend analysis and scenario planning, allowing for the design of new experience models and capability sets
- Identify insights from customer research and market analysis
- Bring your research to life through personas, customer journeys, insight-opportunity frameworks, system maps, stories and scenarios
Collaborative design and development
- Design and facilitate immersion sessions with multi-disciplinary client teams
- Using divergent design thinking techniques for the conceptual development of products, services and/or physical connected form-factors
- Converge innovative ideas to a set of digital and tangible products, services and/or physical connected form-factors in partnership with venture architects, product managers and engineering
- Communicate design ideas using techniques, including product concepts, service models, customer journeys, industrial designs, system maps and/or infographics
- Iteratively design, test and refine disruptive products and services
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to ensure that product development and delivery is consistent with strategic and consumer insights.
- Align with technologists and business stakeholders to understand business and operating models, as well as the systems and capabilities needed to deliver products and services
- Contribute to the sizing of value opportunities and the creation of value cases
- Partner with venture architects and product managers to ensure that new ventures and business builds are set up to deliver strategic value in line with design intent
- Develop a localized strategic design team through proactive identification of viable candidates in partnership with BCGDV recruiting.
- Lead the evolution of strategic design approaches throughout BCG Digital Ventures
- Contribute to business development, and demonstrate leadership in planning and scoping design’s contributions within innovation and incubation projects.
- Communicate insights, concepts and design rationales to internal and external audiences
- Create intellectual property and points of view, as well as industry and topic platforms
- Contribute to the development of thought leadership across a range of emerging business, technology and design topics
- Lead initiatives to develop thought leadership across a range of emerging business, technology and design topics.
As a Strategic Design Director, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in design, business, psychology, strategy, marketing or another relevant field
- Postgraduate qualification or significant experience in a relevant industry
- Significant track record shaping real-to-world user experiences and delivering tangible products to market, with at least 5 years serving in creative leadership roles
- An outstanding portfolio of work demonstrating strong human-centered design capabilities across a diverse range of projects
- Recognized thought leader driving best practices in ethnographic research (quantitative and qualitative), divergent exploration, conceptual development and industrial design
- A background with product prototyping and testing, future visioning and strategy development
Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change. BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.