Subject Matter Expert: User Interface / User Experience (UI/UX) at Codecademy
**At this time, we can only accept applicants that are over the age of 18 and are currently located in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, and WI.**
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy is looking for an expert UI/UX designer or academic to provide guidance as we build our newest course, Intro to UI/UX. The Subject Matter Expert provides the Codecademy Curriculum team with specialized, up-to-date, nuanced insight into UI/UX Design and how it should be taught. This is a paid, remote, contract position, with a typical commitment of 3-5 hours per week.
What You'll Do
- Work with our Curriculum Developers to create and refine a high-level syllabus for Intro to UI/UX
- Review the lessons, quizzes, and projects that other members of the Curriculum team create as we turn that syllabus into reality
- Provide complex technical and pedagogical insights in such a way that other team members—and, ultimately, Codecademy learners—can understand
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of experience as a professional UI and/or UX designer
- Extensive knowledge of UI/UX design through real-world experience
- Strong graphic design foundations mindful of typography, color usage, visual hierarchy, etc.
- Experience in user research methodologies and tools
- A strong understanding of design principles
- Experience in Figma
- The ability to provide clear, actionable, and empathetic feedback and explanation
- A strong command of written and spoken English
What Will Make You Stand Out
- 10+ years of experience
- Experience in both UI/UX design and education
- Experience teaching UI and/or UX and related concepts specifically
- Experience in online education at scale
- Experience using the Codecademy platform
This is a contract, remote position. You can expect anywhere from ~1-5 hours of work per week, with the freedom to work wherever and at whatever times you want. You will be compensated (paid) bi-weekly.
**At this time, we can only accept applicants that are over the age of 18 and are currently located in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, and WI.**Equal Employment Opportunity
Codecademy is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. As an equal opportunities employer, we recognize that diversity is a positive attribute and we welcome the differences and benefits that a diverse culture brings.#LI-Remote