Systems Designer at Grubhub
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what's your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Grubhub is looking for a Systems Designer to join the Product DesignOps team. You will play a pivotal role in maturing our design system. The Grubhub design system enables a suite of products that support over 30 million active diners, 245,000 restaurants, and thousands of drivers in 300 cities. You will partner closely with the system design team, product designers, engineers and product managers as you contribute to building a best-in-class design system. This role will report directly to a Manager, Design.
The Impact You Will Make
- Craft system-level design elements which function across diverse user experiences, from diners to drivers, restaurants and internal users
- Collaborate with a team of talented systems designers to steer the overall direction of Cookbook, Grubhub's Design System
- Thoughtfully contribute to our component documentation and design guidelines
- Work with autonomy, initiating design discussions like whiteboarding sessions and participating in design spikes
- Teach other designers, engineers and product managers to use our design system
- Collaborate closely with engineering and product to unify our visual language, components, and frameworks
- Collaborate with key partners to measure the success of proposed and existing patterns
- Refine and maintain existing tools (e.g., Figma) for designers and developers; research, develop and implement new tooling and practices
- Work to ensure our design system is up-to-date and easy to work with in design and prototyping tools
- Help serve as 'translators' between design and engineering
- Work with marketing to ensure consistency with brand look & feel and maintain brand assets (fonts, logos, illustrations, etc.)
What You Bring to the Table
- 3+ years of experience contributing to and maintaining a design system
- Strong UX/UX design skills
- A portfolio that showcases beautiful craftsmanship, demonstrating competence in the fundamentals of typography, color, iconography, and animation
- A deep understanding of native mobile and responsive design methodologies and patterns
- A high level of expertise with design tools such as but not limited to Sketch, Principle, Invision & Figma
- Confidence to move projects forward independently, while synthesizing feedback from disparate teams and functions
- A technical mindset, with the ability to talk shop and work closely with engineers
- Ability to research, analyze, and make decisions based on multiple sources, including: best practices for usability, in-house user research, feedback from product designers, A/B testing, analytics, and other mature design systems
- Acute self-awareness and deep empathy for Grubhub's customers, as well as the designers, engineers, and product managers you'll work with
Got these? Even better!:
- Experience with with React and/or native (iOS/Android) development
- Working knowledge of GIT and developer workflows
- Illustration and/or animation skills
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it's safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]