ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm's mission is to make it easier to live a smarter life. We’re building news and information products that fit into your everyday routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. We’re best known for the Daily Skimm, an email newsletter reaching 6-Million active subscribers daily. We launched theSkimm app on iOS last year, which integrates seamlessly with your smartphone calendar to give you all the big things happening in politics, business, tech, and entertainment before and it's happening. We also launched theSkimm Studios, our in-house audio and video production team.
theSkimm Product, Design, Engineering and Editorial teams are a group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on creating products Skimm’rs love. We are redefining how to build products that fit into routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You will be a core part of theSkimm’s design team, contributing to some of our most strategic products across web, email, and mobile. You will work cross-functionally across design, product, editorial, and engineering and bring a user-centric vision to all our product development.
- Design beautiful and functional experiences that surprise and delight for our entire product suite across web, mobile, and email
- Rapidly prototype and iterate on new features or experiences
- Work cross-functionally across design, product, engineering, editorial, and marketing to design new features and evolve our overall product experiences
- Brainstorm and ideate around new concepts and features
- Conduct user tests and research to validate hypotheses and iterate quickly
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 2+ years of design experience, including direct experience in UX & UI design
- A sound design aesthetic with a solid understanding of typography, composition, and grids. Demonstrated understanding and demonstration of user-centered design principles
- An understanding of theSkimm's unique brand aesthetic and mission
- Skills and experience with Lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping
- An excitement and passion for design evolution and innovating products through user feedback
- Experience designing cross-platform products (Web, Mobile, Email)
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Sketch
- A demonstrated understanding of what it means to balance user needs and business goals
- Enthusiasm and excitement for working collaboratively or individually, and ability to maintain a self-starter attitude in any environment.
- A pragmatic approach to your work, you have opinions, but hold them loosely and are excited by exploring many ways to solve a problem
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for theSkimm's brand and products
- Keen interest in Digital Media and anything related to new media and technology
- Experience prototyping with Invision or frameworks
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Biannual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered "Sip’n Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs and lows as a team, usually over food, coffee or La Croix
- Twice-monthly “Skimm’e A Drink!” happy hours - a time to wind down with friends over a beer, wine or fruity beverage
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY