User Experience Researcher at OpenFin
At the moment, we are all working remotely. However, we have offices in London and New York, and this positions can be based in either office (subject to your existing legal right to work in either jurisdiction).
For the past 10 years, OpenFin has been at the forefront of software innovation in Finance. From HTML5 to open source development, we are leading the charge in creating industry standards and currently have over 225,000 desktops at our 100+ clients.
This is a brand new role on a growing product team building the operating system for finance. You’ll help us understand how real humans interact with our product and how to synthesize that into solutions and systems. We’re making dialogue with our users a priority and the perfect person will have the right blend of empathy, scrutiny, and creativity.
As a Lead Experience Research you will:
Be part of our Distill > Discover > Sprint > Analyze design process, shipping regular features that our users really want. We’ll need you to:
- Go on fact-finding missions within our existing organization and customers to come up with a map of all the knowns and unknowns that our team faces
- Develop a deep understanding of the people that use our product, the problems they face with the current state of the world
- Identify the right questions and develop a research process and roadmap
- Build and develop a user research infrastructure that produces reusable artifacts like interview guides, screeners, field guides, standardized data capture, and frequent analysis feedback loops
- Evangelize the importance of user experience research at OpenFin and help others see the secrets between the lines that your superpowers enable you to see
- Be collaborative and fun, and be comfortable with regular crits that support constructive feedback in a safe environment
- Implement tools to observe user interaction and behavior on a remote basis
- Consolidate, quantify and report research findings of any user testing, interviews or otherwise
- Conduct user testing on prototypes, beta and unfinished products and features, ensuring we catch feedback earlier on to be fed-back into the product development loop
- Work with your fellow designers, product managers, and engineers to make sure they are always thinking about the right things by regularly delivering actionable findings and recommendations
- Have a good balance of qualitative and quantitative methods but also have good intuition for the right thing in the right moment
- Be curious, open to changing your mind, and above all be kind, fun, and generous!
We’re looking for colleagues with:
- 4-5+ years of qualitative research experience within
- A background in design strategy, HCI, Psychology, Behavioral Economics, Anthropology, Sociology, or similar
- A strong record of applying your research skills to drive business value and in the product space
- The ability to go wide but have an eye on the most important next thing to build
Move Fast. Break Nothing. OpenFin is the financial industry’s operating system, enabling rapid and secure deployment, native experience, and desktop interoperability. Used by the largest industry players through to the newest of FinTech innovators, OpenFin deploys more than 1,000 desktop applications to more than 1500 buy-side and sell-side firms. OpenFin investors include Bain Capital Ventures, Barclays, DRW Venture Capital, NEX Euclid Opportunities, J.P. Morgan, NYCA Partners, Pivot Investment Partners, and Wells Fargo among others. The company has offices in New York and London.
Why Work Here?
OpenFin’s product, engineering, and customer success teams lead the financial technology industry in talent and innovation. Together, they design, develop, and deploy the next generation of financial desktop applications on computers around the globe. OpenFin’s mission is to stay on the cutting edge of web technologies and to enable customers to do the same.
While we are currently remote, OpenFin prides itself on its friendly, understanding office culture. Our goal is to create a space where employees can learn and innovate, and overall, have a good time doing it. Our employees have a diverse set of interests and experiences, and we encourage you to explore those interests and share with us! We have regular happy hours, events, and other chances to socialize. Our office and our employees are conducive to a productive learning experience -- all the while creating innovative and compelling solutions for our clients.