UX Director/Head of Design
Are you a design leader who wants to make a difference in the lives of real people? Want to work in an environment that values customer insights? Are you a fierce advocate for the customer and committed to creating elegant solutions? Do you dream about building strong product development teams where design informs strategy and drives outcomes? Are you passionate about mentoring designers and other team leaders in design thinking and user-centered design methods?
At OnDeck, we make small business a big deal. We’re improving the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small business owners access capital. We care intensely about each other, our company, and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count.
We’re working to transform OnDeck to better meet the financial needs of small businesses. Our team builds financial products and user experiences for Small Business Owners and internal products to support our team. Utilizing user-centered methods, our team collaborates to design solutions that improve our customers’ experience across their journey.
We are seeking a talented UX leader to lead our product design function at OnDeck. Your job as Head of Design will be to coach and develop your team, strategize with product leadership, and influence the future of OnDeck’s products and the ways we serve our customer needs. The individual needs to be passionate about helping small businesses and nimble enough to operate in a fast-growing FinTech company.
As the UX Director/Head of Design at OnDeck, you will:
- Partner with senior leaders to align UX vision and strategy across the company. Help to craft future state visions and deliver a plan for actualizing the larger vision over time.
- Be accountable for the design of the experience across OnDeck’s customer journey, providing customer insights and strategic direction to initiatives across the organization.
- Work cross-functionally with Product Management, UX design, Engineering, Marketing, and Sales teams to fuel ideation and drive new solutions that disrupt the financial services industry. Inspire teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible.
- Own the quality of UX for all OnDeck experiences for our diverse products, platforms, and devices. Be the gatekeeper for all UX activity across the organization.
- Define quantifiable ways to measure success and adoption.
- Grow, mentor, and manage an all-star team of UX designers in a positive environment that attracts and retains top talent.
- Become an expert in and be an advocate for our customers, the small business owner. Understand their needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design.
- Be excited about user-centered design, service design, lean UX and a desire to play a role in all aspects of product development.
- Coach the organization to be human-centered, collaborative, and focused on each customer touch point. Be an evangelist, both internally and in the greater UX community.
- (Most importantly!) Approach your work with a sense of genuine curiosity, collaboration, passion, and good humor!
- 10+ years of design experience and 4+ years of design management
- Demonstrated experience as people manager with the ability to attract, recruit, retain, and develop creative talent
- A solid portfolio of UX-focused work that you have led to create web and mobile applications
- Strong program management skills. Effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to define, manage, and prioritize work across multiple value streams.
- Proven experience with user-centered design methods
- Experience synthesizing and communicating feedback from multiple sources and communicate design decisions in a compelling and persuasive way
- Excellent communication, problem solving, and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated ability to operate with independence and autonomy
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Experience in Sketch, Invision or other visual design, wireframing, and prototyping tools; Proficiency in rapid prototyping
- A passion for OnDeck’s mission of serving small businesses
Nice-to-haves (not required):
- A Master’s degree or equivalent professional experience in human-computer interaction, software design, cognitive psychology or another social science field
- Financial services industry expertise
- Experience designing for small business customers
- Comprehensive experience in agile delivery methodologies (scrum, Kanban, etc.)
As the largest online small business lender in the U.S. and a leading online lender in Canada serving more than 700 different industries, we have been trusted by approximately 100,000 small businesses by providing them with financing to help them build growing and thriving enterprises. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $10 billion in capital.
Join us as we enable small businesses to achieve their goals. At OnDeck, we’re reinventing small business financing. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count. We are small enough to be nimble and strong enough to make a big impact.
OnDeck believes that each and every team member plays an important role in our company’s success. That’s why we strive to provide you and your family with a competitive and comprehensive benefit program with a variety of options and opportunities. We offer:
- Generous Vacation
- Comprehensive Healthcare
- Educational Reimbursement
- 401k Matching
- Parental Leave
- Sports Teams
- Stocked Kitchens
- Loan Consolidation
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Built in NYC’s 100 Best Places to Work, 2019
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
- Denver Business Journal Largest Technology Employers in Denver, 2019
- Denver Business Journal Best Places to Work, 2019
- FinTech Breakthrough Award – Best Overall LendTech Company, 2018
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Fortune.com and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Great Place to Work Certification, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Inc. 500|5000, 2013, 2014
- Inc. Hire Power, 2013
- Lending Tree’s Top Rated Customer Satisfaction, Q1 2018
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- US News & World Report, “Best Unsecured Business Loans of 2018” – Best for Term Loans
- Washington Post Top Places to Work, 2019
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**