UX Writing Lead
Squarespace is a design-centric product company at heart, always striving for our products to enable anyone to tell their story to the world beautifully.
The product design group is looking to build out a team of UX writers to work with our product teams, and is seeking its founding member, a thoughtful writer to take ownership of copy across all of our products, from labels, to error messages, to on-boarding flows, etc. The ideal candidate is at home within a design team, solving problems by creating harmony between the words and overall design of an app.
You’ll be involved throughout the process for every user-facing project in the product organization, alongside product designers, product managers, engineers, and technical.
As the first full-time UX Writer, you will be charged with taking over, developing and communicating our interface copy style guide, in addition to seeing it implemented.
This is the perfect role for someone equally passionate and skilled in UX design and language, who would like to build or help build a team from scratch.
This role will report into the Director of Product Design at our New York Office.
- Write and maintain UI copy across all Squarespace products
- Work with product designers and other team members on wireframes and iterative click-through prototypes
- Deliver polished text strings to other team members
- Create rational, articulable, elegant solutions to complex problems
- Partner with technical, brand and marketing writers to connect in-app messaging with our overall voice
- Continually seek to understand the capabilities and technical constraints of the systems with which you’ll be working
- Advocate for language in product design
- Continually improve and refine our UI and copy style guides
- 5+ years of experience writing UI copy
- Deep awareness of UX and how copy and design work together
- Passionate about consistency and details
- Experience using tools like Sketch
- Ability to ask probing questions to and give/receive feedback in an iterative environment
- Can find the shortest way to clearly communicate an idea
- Excellent sounding board; comfortable pointing out when a design could be better
- Ability to work through ambiguity and competing priorities
- Experience preparing source language for localization
A portfolio of relevant work is required for consideration. It should illustrate your experience in the design process, writing different types of UI copy, and solving real user problems through words.