Website Manager at Bard Graduate Center
Bard Graduate Center (BGC), located on West 86th Street at Central Park West in New York City, seeks a skilled, proactive, dependable Website Manager to maintain and grow its institutional web presence. The Website Manager reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and works closely with colleagues in Design, Information Technology, Academic Administration, Library and Research Collections, Exhibitions, Publications, Public Engagement, and Development. The right candidate will enjoy being part of BGC’s flourishing community of students, faculty, curators, research fellows, and staff members. BGC embraces diversity, equity, access, and inclusion as essential and necessary components of its community and welcomes applications from those who would contribute to the diversity of our institution.
Bard Graduate Center is an interdisciplinary graduate research institute studying the cultural history of the material world. Our students gravitate to careers in museums, academia, the art world, and publishing.
- Manage bgc.bard.edu as well as its academic catalogue site (WordPress), store site (Big Commerce), and library catalog (Blacklight)
- Determine web goals and content strategy with BGC department heads and the department of marketing and communications
- Work with external web developer as needed to fix bugs and develop new website features to realize those goals
- Coordinate with Art Director and Designer to ensure BGC’s web presence reflects institutional branding standards
- Coordinate with Marketing and Communications staff to ensure web copy meets institutional style guidelines
- Coordinate with Information Technology to maintain site security and stability
- Liaise with 12+ department heads and 12+ site editors to post new digital content; provide constructive feedback and guidance
- Train site editors to update their pages and create emails using Wordpress CMS templates, and then approve those updates/emails before they are posted
- Update and effectively present content provided by BGC departments on the website
- Respond in a timely manner to requests from colleagues
- Maintain regular meetings with department heads and site editors to ensure web content is fresh and up-to-date, provide analytics, provide additional training, etc.
- Oversee freelancers and / or student workers in editing and uploading livestream videos to the BGC site and YouTube channel and performing other tasks as needed
- Develop and maintain HTML email templates / campaigns for Mailchimp as needed
- Support front end updates and fixes to the website and store and catalog sites using HTML / CSS / JS / jQuery
- Maintain Wordpress CMS using PHP / HTML / CSS / Plugins
- Review and analyze Google Analytics data and share with marketing team and department heads on regular basis
- Oversee UX in design and research; conduct usability testing to improve website functionality as needed
- Create wireframes for site updates and user testing as needed
- Follow user-centered design principles to support design decisions with best practices
- Generate reports and present UX findings to department heads
- Three-plus years of experience managing websites, preferably in a college / arts environment; daily experience with website content management systems
- Knowledge of HTML / CSS, JS, jQuery, and Wordpress theme development
- Experienced with responsive design and best practices, web accessibility and Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), and Sketch or Figma
- Strong sense of interaction design and user flows paired with an ability to translate solutions into wireframes, prototypes, and testable concepts.
- Ability to scale, resize and crop images in different formats; create and edit PDFs
- Familiarity with Github, cPanel, AWS, and Cloudflare
- Sensitivity to design, photographic composition, and storytelling in digital media
- Exceptional attention to detail and communication; exceptional collaboration and project / time management skills
- Passionate about mastering and applying current and emerging web technologies and user-centered design principles
- Ability to manage many competing deadlines and requests
- Experience with Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
- Capable of managing relationships with a wide range of constituencies (staff, students, faculty, and administrators) with diplomacy and tact
- Display sound judgment, flexibility, and a collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation
- Work cross-functionally to help identify improvements and innovations for the website
- Able to work with minimal supervision in a team environment
- Some knowledge of design / museum / gallery world
About Bard Graduate Center / Bard College:
Bard College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated and follow the guidelines and protocols established to address campus safety regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.