Workplace Design & Construction Manager at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity
The future of work is being built at Better. We are looking for an experienced, hands-on leader to manage our Design & Construction Projects. As part of the Corporate Real Estate (CorpRE) team at Better, the Design and Construction Manager will work closely with internal and external partners to design and build Better offices around the globe.
- Develop, maintain and update master schedules, project budgets and anticipated cost reports
- Drive both internal and external stakeholders to meet deadlines as required per the master schedule
- Issue RFPs, open project budgets, write SOWs, vet and level vendors, review change orders, review contract amendments, manage accruals, & approve invoices.
- Establish systems and communication processes that ensure project participants are informed of project status, problems and required actions
- Collaborate across functions to improve governance, cost management, document control, project tracking, and close-out processes
- Work closely with the greater Better team, including Finance, Security, and IT, on projects to ensure alignment of scope and execution
- 7+ years of experience working in Construction Management and/or Architectural Design with particular emphasis on leasehold improvements
- Familiarity with current workplace trends, technologies, and vendors.
- Proactive manager that is comfortable working in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills ensuring coordination of architecture, MEP, AV, IT, networking and security systems.
- Extensive knowledge of project management practices and construction documentation
- Ability to develop internal tools for project dashboards, project management and budgets
- Facility with project scheduling and project management software (Google Docs, Excel, Microsoft Project, Bluebeam Revu)
- Ability to travel as needed post COVID-19
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.