Director, Editorial, CNN Underscored (Greater NYC Area, NY)
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery... the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are...
When we say, "the stuff dreams are made of," we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next...
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Your New Role...
The Director, Editorial is responsible for managing content for CNN Underscored, CNN's Reviews and Recommendations section. They will set an editorial direction and strategy for Underscored that is aligned with our business goals and manage a team of about 20 writers and editors. The right candidate is a seasoned editorial leader with extensive editing, reporting and writing experience and a successful track record managing digital editorial teams, working collaboratively within a matrixed structure and growing audience and brand recognition for a major publisher. Experience in the product review space is a must. We are looking for someone who embraces big, bold swings and is eager to take Underscored and its consumer-facing service journalism to the next level.
Your Role Accountabilities...
- Set the editorial direction for CNN Underscored.
- Work closely with the SEO and Revenue/Data Insights teams to ensure editorial direction is aligned with business goals and KPIs.
- Final say on all articles, reviews, graphics and photos. Suggest improvements and make changes to improve quality and originality
- Manage a content creation engine that feeds Web, social, email, video and syndication partners and enables us achieve business goals
- Develop and execute new editorial tentpoles and franchises that will evolve the Underscored brand and grow our audience
- Identify new content areas and coverage formats and partner with product on new digital tools that that will enable us to grow audience and better serve readers
- Develop new approaches to event and review coverage that will enable Underscored to differentiate itself in a crowded market
- Hire, manage and develop in-house talent
- Manage the editorial freelance budget
Qualifications & Experience...
- At least 7 years managing a team at a major digital publisher
- At least 3 years working for a product review publisher
- Extraordinary leadership and organizational skills
- Understanding of SEO, social media, email, video and editorial best practices
- Organized, highly collaborative and a great communicator
- The ability to break down potentially complex topics into an easily digestible format
- Flawless grammar & spelling
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite, and comfortable using digital workflow software and content management systems
- Strong creative and writing skills are required for this position.
How We Get Things Done...
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits...
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. Actual salaries will vary based on several factors, including but not limited to external market data, internal equity, location, skill set, experience, and/or performance. Base pay is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery's total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $137,900.00 - $256,100.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and sick time and vacation.
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].