Application Security Engineer at 2U
As 2U continues to grow and partner with premier universities, application security has become a significant focus for the Technology group. We are searching for a passionate Application Security Engineer who is interested in working for a fast-paced, dynamic company that’s changing the landscape of higher education. This individual will be part of our growing cybersecurity team in the New York office. Application security engineers in particular bridge the gap between the greater cybersecurity team and the various software development teams at 2U, so it's a cross-disciplinary role. At the get-go, the engineer will be tasked with assisting in the building of 2U’s security infrastructure and processes, and eventually their focus will shift to day-to-day operations and a break/fix/teach cycle.
Responsibilities and Opportunities
- Designing, testing, and deploying various security solutions for 2U’s internal and external systems
- Automating the static code analysis (SCA) process to detect security vulnerabilities before code is deployed
- Contributing to the development of a secure software development lifecycle (SSDLC) and generally promoting secure coding practices within engineering teams
- Striking a balance between building things and breaking things
- Providing consultation on information security designs to various departments at 2U
- Working on improvement of existing tools and developing new tools
- Hacking into test environments during red team exercises
- Assisting in the analysis and resolution of security incidents
- Providing feedback and assessing context for received penetration test reports
Experience and Skills
- Strong software engineering and security principles — you should have experience with both code and security, and you should be able to explain one to someone who specializes in the other
- Using scripting languages to automate tasks (Python, shell, or similar)
- Understanding of modern web application architecture and how to secure it (OWASP)
- Understanding of networking protocols and operations engineering (specifically Linux)
- Interest in the never-ending list of newly released vulnerabilities, attacks, and security research
- Interest in the never-ending list of new software development paradigms and how they relate to security
- Willingness to learn by tinkering (and let’s be honest, you know how to Google like a pro)
- Bonus points: participation in bug bounties, possession of security certificates, and knowledge of security standards
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a dynamic and flexible environment.
- Customer services focused.
- When you hear the term “firewall” you don’t think of a wall engulfed in flames
- You’ve binge-watched Mr. Robot at least once
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 12 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.